E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Some distributors, like Autohausaz.com, identify both the manufacturer and if it's the OEM for the part too.

The cold weather kit includes additional insulation on parts that you don't need in Florida. If it helps, my 325i was delivered in Florida with the standard CCV parts.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Be aware that others have said that the cold weather CCV is more difficult to install, due primarily to the insulation on the oil separator. One person removed the insulation in order to install it.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'll keep that in mind if I run out of patience LOL. The BavAuto video has a little trick to getting it in. Nice to know there is an option

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, I know this thread is pretty old, but...How in the ever loving Hell do you guys do it??? I'm a girl and have little hands and I'm still cursing a blue streak!! Whoever decided on the placement of those lower intake hose clamps should be shot at dawn! Alright...I'm done ranting now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Flex head driver, ratcheting swivel head box wrenches, long skinny screwdrivers and lots of patience are your friends.

The intake boot is the easier part. The real fun is the dive, dip, duck and twist to get the hose from the vac distribution to ccv on.

In all honesty, if you have not done the OFHG yet, do it now and gain some room. At the least it will allow you get a straight shot and look underneath.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't gotten to the ccv yet. As of right now, the water pump and thermostat are done (unrelated to this obviously, but included in my "holiday" weekend, so as long as I'm done with them, I'm savoring the victory!), the air filter housing and intake boots are off, heat shield is off (I'm pretty sure that when I wrenched that out of there, somewhere in Germany an engineer felt a disturbance in the force), fuel rail, microfiber stuff, disa is out and cleaned. As far as I can see, my next step is the wire harness box, but to do that I have to get the dipstick done with, and that's where I'm getting stuck. I'm having trouble finding good pictures in my searches. I know where the bolt is (or at least have an idea) from pictures on ECS, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get to it! It just kind of disappears down into the BMW void of doom. Is it easier to access from underneath? I didn't really feel like getting an antifreeze shower, and my car is still dripping from the coolant work, so I threw in the towel for tonight and figured I'd do some more snooping on here. See if there are tricks to that dipstick that I'm not finding on my own. I've learned plenty about the trouble with getting the new o-ring on, but until I get the old one off, I can't even have that problem! 'doh!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Work your way down, each thing you remove on the top side makes more room below. Get the splash shield by the booster out, that gives you access to the idle air and TB components. Dipstick tube is easy enough, getting it back in is the trick. From underside is no easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stuck

Kind of stuck. Everything is back together to the point of putting on the lower intake boot next, but I was stupid enough to leave one lead from the wire harness unlabeled, and the Hell if I can figure out where it goes. It's only about two inches long, so the options are limited, and it only has a single wire in it...anyone available to help my desperation? I really want to finish this tonight!! :ben:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Post a picture, if it is that short options are limited, purge valve? Are you certain 1 wire or 1 pair of wires? In the CCV area there are two connectors on the sensors on the oil filter housing, one on the DISA, one on throttle body, one on idle control valve, one on purge valve and one on alternator, underneath are the ping and crank sensors but those should not have been disturbed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And, in my case, just because something shouldn't have been disturbed, doesn't mean it wasn't disturbed! Still have my training wheels on when it comes to all of this :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Locate both sensors on the oil filter housing to make sure both have wires on them. Follow down from behind the oil filter. The one wire makes sense for those as they use chassis ground for the return. These wires only go one way, all the connectors are different in my experience, I have never marked them.
JJs M54 thread has lots of pictures that may help, check out where the sensors are on the OFHG.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=899347

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I screwed up something. The pictures on the thread you sent me to are amazing, but the one wire that I can't follow is the one I'm lost on. Looking at the wiring harness (third picture down on that thread), it is the second wire down, just above the one that leads to the oil filter housing. I think I'm going to have to pull the wiring harness box in the morning and see what I might have missed. That's where it leads in the picture. :tsk:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Think I'm going to try it again in the morning. If I keep at it tonight, I'm going to douse it in lighter fluid and roast hot dogs! Thank you so much for your help, here's to hoping I'll go out in the morning and the answer will slap me right in the face!

161 - 180 of 224 Posts