E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
^thanks for adding your bit!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm about to do this job tomorrow after doing all my research. I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the oil filter housing gasket. I have it but I don't think it's leaking. I'll watch the Bavauto video and write down the steps.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Man.. Got new intake boots for the throttle body to air filter. Can't get the damn boot on the throttle body.Tried lube, silicone, even hot water to soften up the new boot and it just won't slide into the grove. Have the alignment right with the underside of the throttle body too. Tips please. Can I get the throttle bolts (4) on with the boot installed first off the car?
dlm ny country

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Man.. Got new intake boots for the throttle body to air filter. Can't get the damn boot on the throttle body.Tried lube, silicone, even hot water to soften up the new boot and it just won't slide into the grove. Have the alignment right with the underside of the throttle body too. Tips please. Can I get the throttle bolts (4) on with the boot installed first off the car?
dlm ny country
Are you trying to put the wrong end on it? Something sounds strange.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nope. It is just tight. Makes no sense to me either. The ridge in the gasket should just slide int the groove on the throttle body intake side but it keeps pushing back when it about 1/2 way on. The tab on the bottom is going into it's slot too..
Pissing me off.
dlm ny country

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I put the old one back in. Easy fit, it was in good shape. I was just doing some preemptive maintenance since I had the intake manifold off. Quality control at BMW isn't what it used to be.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh yeah.. they match . I lined them up and all. Something is just a bit off making it hard to get on. Oddly enough I did the CCV, vans line, two hard coolant lines, crank sensor. All were in very good shape, minus the crank sensor. Hopefully, I won't have to take off the intake manifold for a while. Gotta top off the coolant tomorrow and fire her up.

dlm ny country

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just as a reminder to those who think they have oil separator (CCV) problem and are about to spend many hours or days replacing it, be sure to first check to see if the lower oil separator hose is cracked or broken, especially if you are getting P1188/P1189 codes. This hose is often the sole problem and just takes a few minutes to replace.

This thread has pictures on how to check it:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

Cheers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just adding my experience here--I replaced the CCV system because I was already replacing the leaking OFHG, so I figured at 136K miles I was probably due to replace the CCV system. After finishing the job, I cut open the old oil separator and found no evidence of sludge/mayo. The old tubes/hoses were all clear as well, although they were a little brittle. I guess this means the former owner had a long commute and didn't take a lot of short trips :). I'm still happy that I tackled it though.

·
Registered
2001 325i 80,000 miles
218 Posts
Apologies for the necro, but I'm doing this job - along with the VCG and air distributor o-rings - this week, so I will post my experience and any tips/pitfalls I encounter:).

·
Registered
2001 325i 80,000 miles
218 Posts
I have just completed the disassembly half of the project, so here are some random thoughts:

1. I suggest doing the CCV job in two phases - disassembly, break (possibly overnight, as I am), then reassembly. It's a frustrating engine and stepping back will forestall any rage-quits. Also, make sure you have plenty of light - start the job earlier in the day, rather than later, as the inlet manifold casts a very big shadow.

2. Space is going to be tight towards the end so I recommend investing in a 1/4 ratchet set - the nuts and bolts you'll be dealing with are all pretty small.

3. Buy some write-on zip lock bags and gift/luggage tags.
Using the OP's magnificent guide (though I modified it on the fly - see #5), pre-mark each bag with the step number and part name - "18 - throttle body", for example - put the repective fasteners in the bag, and duct tape them to the part in question; when you come to reassmble, go in reverse number order. Use the tags to label any electrical or vacuum connectors you might remove "DISA elec.", etc - then you know where they'll go when you come to put them back.

4a. On the subject of duct tape, duct tape any non-magnetic bits to their host sockets - dropping a loose bit into the engine bay has caused me uncountably many headaches over the years.
4b. Buy a telescoping magnet - handy for retrieving dropped bits and to hold next to about-to-come-out screws so they don't fall into the engine bay.

5. I used a slightly different move order to the OP - I left the dipstick guide tube until after the throttle body, pretty much the last thing before going after the CCV hoses and oil separator. I found very little room to manoeuvre the dipstick with the DISA and TB in the way.

6. Do NOT try to save any of the old CCV parts except for the vacuum plug on the oil separator (if it's still good, and you are not doing the 02 Pilot mod); if you know your new system is complete - check before starting the job! - just cut and/or smash everything off.

7. Don't be afraid to give the electronics box some decent pulls if it's in your way - it's big, but only loosely connected.

8. Consider some "while I'm here..." jobs to schedule at the same time - for example, you are already most of the way to the valve cover gasket, so you might want to chuck that on afterwards, especially if your crankcase breather is clogged and there is mayo under the oil filler.
Also, I removed my "pig" (aka "distribution piece" 11611440318), cleaned it out with soapy water (oil fumes) and replaced the o rings because they are extremely cheap, and it's a potential vacuum leak killed off before it can develop.

Reassembly tomorrow, whereupon I will add anything I learn from that part.

·
Registered
2001 330Ci 5speed
246 Posts
I had little price tag labels with strings I used when disconnecting any electrical plugs. I know each plug only goes to one location, but it still helped with the re-install. Also, I've replaced my CCV both ways and the second time with the intake manifold removed was much easier for me. Also, the telescoping magnet comes in very handy. I used mine several times. I know one time I dropped a little screw, but did not hear it hit the floor. I thought what are the odds that it fell inside the dip stick hole? I extended the magnet and stuck it in the hole - and out came the screw with a nice coat of oil. So lucky.

·
Registered
2001 325i 80,000 miles
218 Posts
I went a bit further today, but stopped before the dipstick tube installation to do the valve cover gasket. Some observations:

1. Despite the pervading "push on, then twist" tactic for the double-90 CCV hose, it is actually possible to just push it on like we do with the others - do a dry-fit with your CCV and find out - it just has to be pushed harder, and in such a way that the "ears" clear the flange on the separator and sock against it when you try to retract it.
I couldn't work my tube up between the manifold and the head, so I dropped it down from above, offered up the oil separator, and just pushed it on. Unlike the other hoses, there is a bit of side-to-side play even when it's fully inserted - again, try a dry fit to gauge it. (I think mine didn't snake up because it's a boggo eBay unit, rather than OEM. I'm just thanking my lucky stars I didn't go for the winter version...)

I tried pulling mine off a few times during the course of the morning, with as much force as I dared, and it didn't detach. That hose, I think, experiences a slight vacuum from the "cyclone" generated by the breather, so if it didn't come off with all my pulling, a vacuum isonly going to help it seat. I would recommed getting this hose on and then screwing the separator to the mainfold - this will give you some rigidity to push the remaining hoses on.

2. Be liberal with o-ring lube - I used engine oil because... that's what they're going to see, innit? 😁

3. Tape the separator screws to your T25 bit when you come to reinstall them - they are ridiculously easy to drop.

4. I recommend that you do not wear gloves when dealing with tiny nuts and bolts - your dexterity is limited, and drops are a lot more likely (ask me how - I nearly had a heart attack when I dropped an ignition coil bolt into the bay, but it landed when I could see it. Needless to say, no gloves from that point on.).

201 - 220 of 224 Posts