E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to first off thank member CraigUK for coming up with this idea of using CCFL fan grills from the manufacture sunbeam.

To start off this cost between $70-$80 to make here's what's needed:

1 Automotive relay - $7.00 for 1
1 20 AMP Fuse $1.49 for 3
1 Fuse Holder - $2.39 for 1
1 T-Tap
2 Terminal Contacts (One for The Positive and the Other for Ground) $1.69 for 6
4 Sunbeam CCFL Fan Grills (They have Blue, Red, Green, and UV) $10-$15 each
and a few feet of Ground (Black) and Positive Wire (Red) I used 16 guage

First off read the directions on the package of your automotive relay. It shows by numbers where to connect the ground wire to, the outgoing 12V and Incoming 12V signals and lastly the ON/OFF 12V positive wire that will connect directly to the ECU to turn the angel eyes on with your headlights.

1. The first step I did was connected the positive terminal contact and fuse holder with 20 amp fuse to the 12V IN plug on the relay

2. Second connect positive wire to ON/OFF SWITCH Plug of relay (NOTE: make sure it is long enough to reach to the ECU from the passenger side of vehicle (I made it around 3 feet) You will use the T-Tap when your finished to tap into the red and white strped wire in your ECU in order for the Angel eyes to turn on.

3. Connect the Positive wire from your light controller that came with your CCFL to the 12V Out plug on the relay

4. Lastly connect all ground wires to the relay. There are 2, one is from the light controller and the other you will have to put a terminal contact on the end so it will connect to the ground location under your hood.

When you are finished it should look something like this:

I'm sorry if I didnt explain it detailed enough if you have any comments or questions feel free to PM me. I wrote this assuming that you have installed the wheel power CCFL halos before.

Here are some pics of the results I didnt use the star because I could not find a way to mount it to the headlight:

The one on the left are the sunbeam ones and the ones on the right are the wheelpower enhanced.

Sunbeam

Wheelpower enhanced

And with the star:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are the pics they didnt work the first time these are in order according to the previous post

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dude MAJOR props to you... I got the sunbeams in my computer and never even thought about using them for the car!

CONGRATS ON A GREAT DIY!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nico3k said:
Dude MAJOR props to you... I got the sunbeams in my computer and never even thought about using them for the car!

CONGRATS ON A GREAT DIY!
Hey can you give a little more insight on how exactly you attached the rings to the headlights?

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's great! I have been waiting for someone to try this.
So the CPU lights are the brighter ones right?
I would also like to know what you used for clips to hold the rings in place.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Next weekend, we are going to install a set of these in an E36... I will post pics in this thread when it's all done.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to mount them to the headlights I used these little clips that are originally used to hang tags in like a supermarket in the dairy and frozen sections. They hold up but are still a little loose and would be worried under normal driving and braking situations that they might fall all I am working on something more secure but all in all at least they do work and are considerably as close to brightness as the wheel powers.

ANd the left set of headlights the more blue color are the sunbeams and the right set of headlights are wheelpower

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for reposting this, but it should go more clear with the pictures next to each step:

I want to first off thank member CraigUK for coming up with this idea of using CCFL fan grills from the manufacture sunbeam.

To start off this cost between $70-$80 to make here's what's needed:

1 Automotive relay - $7.00 for 1
1 20 AMP Fuse $1.49 for 3
1 Fuse Holder - $2.39 for 1
1 T-Tap
2 Terminal Contacts (One for The Positive and the Other for Ground) $1.69 for 6
4 Sunbeam CCFL Fan Grills (They have Blue, Red, Green, and UV) $10-$15 each
and a few feet of Ground (Black) and Positive Wire (Red) I used 16 guage

First off read the directions on the package of your automotive relay. It shows by numbers where to connect the ground wire to, the outgoing 12V and Incoming 12V signals and lastly the ON/OFF 12V positive wire that will connect directly to the ECU to turn the angel eyes on with your headlights.

1. The first step I did was connected the positive terminal contact and fuse holder with 20 amp fuse to the 12V IN plug on the relay

2. Second connect positive wire to ON/OFF SWITCH Plug of relay (NOTE: make sure it is long enough to reach to the ECU from the passenger side of vehicle (I made it around 3 feet) You will use the T-Tap when your finished to tap into the red and white strped wire in your ECU in order for the Angel eyes to turn on.

3. Connect the Positive wire from your light controller that came with your CCFL to the 12V Out plug on the relay

4. Lastly connect all ground wires to the relay. There are 2, one is from the light controller and the other you will have to put a terminal contact on the end so it will connect to the ground location under your hood.

When you are finished it should look something like this:

I'm sorry if I didnt explain it detailed enough if you have any comments or questions feel free to PM me. I wrote this assuming that you have installed the wheel power CCFL halos before.

Here are some pics of the results I didnt use the star because I could not find a way to mount it to the headlight:

The one on the left are the sunbeam ones and the ones on the right are the wheelpower enhanced.

Sunbeam

Wheelpower enhanced

And with the star:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ivegotissues666 said:
to mount them to the headlights I used these little clips that are originally used to hang tags in like a supermarket in the dairy and frozen sections. They hold up but are still a little loose and would be worried under normal driving and braking situations that they might fall all I am working on something more secure but all in all at least they do work and are considerably as close to brightness as the wheel powers.

ANd the left set of headlights the more blue color are the sunbeams and the right set of headlights are wheelpower
interesting. can you post a closeup of the plastic clips if possible? thanks

once again, very nice job on the DIY :thumbup: I will be installing these on an E36 next weekend.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here are some pics but once again they work but i dont think they would under driving conditions if anyone has any other ideas they have i would like to know. I and going to be trying shaping some lexan fiberglass to shape and see if that works.

Attachments

·
King of Useless P O S T S!
1,066 Posts
:yikes: Can't believe I missed this thread. Great write-up! Have any pics of the DIY kit completely installed on your car?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am working on a better way of mounting the rings and then i will be able to fully install the sunbeams hopefully with the star too

·
Registered
55 Posts
They look quite good for the outlay involved. Here's an idea, is it possible to remove the inner star and the outer mouting points with a dremel or something similar so that you are left with just the outer CCFL ring within it's plastic shroud? that way you could also use the tape mod to prevent the blue reflection in the headlamps. I'm sure it would be possible and probably not too noticeable when fitted. If you still have the plastic shrouding it may be worth a go, get some pics up :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts