E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this DIY I will show you how to make CF wheel cap emblems, but this can be done for ANY emblem (hood, trunk, steering wheel) on the car. If you already have some BMW emblems/wheel caps on your car it will only cost $6. However, I started with some brand new 'covers' found on eBay for $4/shipped that I'm putting on my buddy's E46. The link I put for eBay is for Black Emblems that cost about the same and will save you alot of time.

LET'S BEGIN........

Time: 45 min - 1 hour
Cost: $6.00

Supplies:

- Electrical tape ($1 at Walmart)
- Carbon Fiber sample from eBay ($1/shipped): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3D-Silver-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Sheet-Decal-Wrap-SAMPLE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a6081e683QQitemZ250727229059QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
- BMW Emblem PDF (download free!): <a target="_blank" title="BMW Emblem PDF (pdf)" href="http://pdfcast.org/pdf/bmw-emblem-pdf">BMW Emblem PDF</a>
- Wheel Cap Covers from eBay ($3.99/shipped): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120701786071&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
- Clear Coat Spray (matte finish) from Walmart ($3.49)
- Scissors
- Sharpie
- Clear plastic cover (got mine off a Costco salad tupperware)
- Exacto-knife or Box Cutter
- A STEADY HAND! :D

1. Find a hard surface to work off

2. Put the clear plastic cover over the PDF print out and line up your first piece of electrical tape. You'll be using the PDF mainly as a guide and no need to cut it up. TIP: If you cut a clean 90 degree angle on the tape with scissors then your lines will look alot better and more accurate.

3. You actually want to cut them a bit smaller than the pattern as the outer edges are usually where the chrome trim is on the emblem. TIP: Going smaller isn't so bad either because you can always stretch and maneuver the electrical tape to your desired size because of it's elasticity. Use your Sharpie for any touch ups

4. Next, lay down a small piece of CF vinyl tape and do the same.

5. Once all pieces are done and you like what you see you'll move on to the MOST IMPORTANT part of the DIY and that's using a good clear coat to protect it from the elements.

6. You want to make sure there's no dust or particles on the emblems and be sure to put at least 2-3 coats. TIP: Don't saturate the pieces with the clear coat as it makes an uneven surface and comes out 'gummy.' Lightly go over it once and then let it dry for about 5 min. before moving on to another light coat. Apply 2-3 more and.......... VOILA!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wayyyyy to tacky for my liking. If your buying new emblems why not just get the cf ones? They are like 15$ more and if your spending $10 in supplies....

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
:rofl: no!

Just get the right ones man

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1516wt_1167

Lol 25 bucks for actual emblems, none of that electrical tape shinanagins. I smell '11

Let us know how long it takes for the tape to peel off. Lol, clear coat doesn't make the tape stick any better. Rocks are just gonna rip the tape :facepalm:
If you're driving on surfaces where rocks can rip off tape from under 2-3 coats of clear coat I'd be more worried about the road :tsk:

I've had them on for about 3 1/2 weeks in the rain and all over freeways here in NorCal, haven't had any signs of it falling off.

Don't knock it before you try it homie! :p

·
Registered
565 Posts
Look great, I don't wont to spend $25 on emblems. LOL

Great DIY.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
^ that's what you think? Really? Maybe you shouldn't be in a BMW if you think 25$ is to much.

IMHO they look like crap, sorry op but they are.

Anyone else think like me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^ that's what you think? Really? Maybe you shouldn't be in a BMW if you think 25$ is to much.

IMHO they look like crap, sorry op but they are.

Anyone else think like me.
LOL, you crack me up dude :rofl: If you're truly somebody with your nose up high stalking ppls Bimmers in parking lots to see if they're "real/OEM/eBay/M3" etc. etc. etc. then I feel sorry for you. Not saying you are, but you definitely have an elitist attitude about a car that's 11 years past its debut. Chill out :D

You honestly can't tell when you look at the rims, but it doesn't matter, to each their own

Look great, I don't wont to spend $25 on emblems. LOL

Great DIY.
Thanks man! You're from SF? I'm up in the Bay too, whuuuuuduuuuup :hi:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
No quite the opposite, I love getting second hand parts, that means I don't have to pay retail. But IMO 25 bucks is worth having something that looks good instead of something that looks like my 4 year old made it lol.

If you like it man then roll with it, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
565 Posts
LOL, you crack me up dude :rofl: If you're truly somebody with your nose up high stalking ppls Bimmers in parking lots to see if they're "real/OEM/eBay/M3" etc. etc. etc. then I feel sorry for you. Not saying you are, but you definitely have an elitist attitude about a car that's 11 years past its debut. Chill out :D

You honestly can't tell when you look at the rims, but it doesn't matter, to each their own

Thanks man! You're from SF? I'm up in the Bay too, whuuuuuduuuuup :hi:
Nice. Have you heard of the 'Bay Area Friday Meet' Near Milpitas? Never been to any meet. let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No quite the opposite, I love getting second hand parts, that means I don't have to pay retail. But IMO 25 bucks is worth having something that looks good instead of something that looks like my 4 year old made it lol.

If you like it man then roll with it, that's all that matters.
Understand. Is the creativity that drives us. :thumbup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you're driving on surfaces where rocks can rip off tape from under 2-3 coats of clear coat I'd be more worried about the road :tsk:

I've had them on for about 3 1/2 weeks in the rain and all over freeways here in NorCal, haven't had any signs of it falling off.

Don't knock it before you try it homie! :p
Clear coat doesn't make things adhere any better. Not knocking the idea of it peeling off, I'm knocking how tacky it looks.

I'm not your homie.:thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clear coat doesn't make things adhere any better. Not knocking the idea of it peeling off, I'm knocking how tacky it looks.
Of course not brosuff, it IS the 'adherer.' Anything underneath (like e-tape that's already self-adhesive) isn't exactly going to wiggle out. Trust me............I actually did it. Go figure :thumbsup:

I'm not your homie.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Creative, but just one of those things you do to the car and tell no one else about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts