E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hey guys,

For those who need to align their headlights and have been scared of the process, here is a DIY that should be easy to understand. :craig:

First, here is a picture of where the adjustment screws can be found on your vehicle:

Last but not least, the DIY: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
One Stupid ?

Thanks for this DIY. My stupid question is when turning the height adjustment screw clockwise, does this raise or lower the light and also the same stupid question for the side to side adjustment.
My reason to ask is that these things are hard enough to get to and I want to make sure to turn them the right direction the first time. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't remember. I just turn the screwdriver and watch the light. If it's going the wrong way I turn the opposite direction. It shouldn't be that hard to get to? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
hey rovert, i just got some p46s and the pasenger beam is high and im turning it to lower however i think ive gone the max it will go and it just keeps turning with no lowering. the passenger beam is VERY high still... is there any other way to adjust this and why is it so high still?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Thanks for this DIY. My stupid question is when turning the height adjustment screw clockwise, does this raise or lower the light and also the same stupid question for the side to side adjustment.
My reason to ask is that these things are hard enough to get to and I want to make sure to turn them the right direction the first time. Thanks!
lowers the headlight. that is my picture of the adjustment screws posted.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
hey rovert, i just got some p46s and the pasenger beam is high and im turning it to lower however i think ive gone the max it will go and it just keeps turning with no lowering. the passenger beam is VERY high still... is there any other way to adjust this and why is it so high still?

thanks in advance
because they are p46s, they don't exactly work the same way as OEMs. sometimes those stupid knobs don't even work on the p46s. you'll just have to keep trying at it. if it still doesn't work, i suggest opening the headlight (just take the headlight lens off) and pushing down on the reflector bowl. see if that does anything.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ok thanks sillie:) i guess the projector just came aimed too high bc it will go up and down, however the lowest itll go is about 1ft over a perfectly level drivers side. i sat there for about 2 min with a screwdriver then i gave up. it feels broken but i know its not bc it works....

can the projector be pushed down with little resistance?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
ok thanks sillie:) i guess the projector just came aimed too high bc it will go up and down, however the lowest itll go is about 1ft over a perfectly level drivers side. i sat there for about 2 min with a screwdriver then i gave up. it feels broken but i know its not bc it works....

can the projector be pushed down with little resistance?
check to make sure you installed the headlight in correctly first. sometimes you can get it in, but if it's not going in those 2 prongs, the light isn't sitting right. everything will bolt right up though

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
well my p46s came with the headlight washer bracket preinstalled so it got in the way with the one installed on the car. the one that is installed on the car is what you screw those back 2 screws in to secure the headlight. that braket is screwed on to the car with 2 screws in the front so i took those out and put in the p46s... those front screws were a PAIN to screw back in with the headlight on, i almost resorted to take off the bumper, but just removing the fender well was semi ok... so after some scratched up hands i got my p46s on, the hard way (i know that there could have been some other way haha but i was being stubborn). So now my headlights are on via 4 screws but not the 4 screws that everyone usaually uses. that may be why my projectors are off. and also i believe that the "adjustment limits" for the p46s is smaller than oem. however, i did what u told me sillie and i pushed down the projector and it works now!! thanks!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
how high should the lower tape be on the wall? Also how far apart from left to right?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thats really helpful thanks. i wat to know what is the right height for the headlight? Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
+1

It's a good start, but no specifics as to how high up the beams should be, nor how far apart they should be at 35 feet. At 80 feet, the beams should come together into one beam, so there's some trigonometry for you when you get the numbers!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1

It's a good start, but no specifics as to how high up the beams should be, nor how far apart they should be at 35 feet. At 80 feet, the beams should come together into one beam, so there's some trigonometry for you when you get the numbers!
When you car is that close to the wall. It doesn't matter if the light is pointed up/down incorrectly. The first step of tape will always be relative to your vehicle's ride height in most poeple's cases. Now if you're slammed maybe that 2.5" might be too much. If you've got a 2 foot lift kit on, then maybe 2.5" will be too little. You'll have to make that decision and also guage upon how oncoming drivers treat you and adjust from there.

I thought step three provides enough information to aligning the headlights right/left-wise. :hmm:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts