E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I´ve installed a sub moved with an amplifier, for this installation I´ve tapped rear speakers wires. Signal is converted directly from the speaker wires to rca´s by a Caliber hi/low conversor. Is Sven 4 similar to this?
I don´t understand when you say that business has "balanced signal". Signal is not taken directly from the speaker outputs of the HU?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
alicuencana said:
I´ve installed a sub moved with an amplifier, for this installation I´ve tapped rear speakers wires. Signal is converted directly from the speaker wires to rca´s by a Caliber hi/low conversor. Is Sven 4 similar to this?
I don´t understand when you say that business has "balanced signal". Signal is not taken directly from the speaker outputs of the HU?
Because you're in Spain, I believe things are a bit different. In North America, most (it used to be all) cars come with a factory amplifier in the trunk, so their are no speaker outputs behind the head unit, basically just an RCA signal that is sent back to that amplifier. The amplifier then sends out the signals to the speakers. In Europe, I believe the cars have no amp and all of the speakers are driven off of the head unit. In your case, tapping into that speaker line with a Hi/Lo convertor was really your only the option. The SVEN4 would have done pretty much the same thing in that case.

In the US, though, the RCA outputs from the Head Unit are called "balanced." This is where the SVEN4 shines above the similar Line Output Convertors from Radio Shack or any other store as it "corrects" the balanced signal to an industry standard RCA.

Basically, unless you're having issues with alternator whine or poor sound quality, I'd leave things the way they are. (It's a subwoofer so I'm not even sure you can hear any difference in quality.) If you are having issues, the SVEN4 might be an option if only for the reason that so many guys on this board are using it and could help you out. Good luck. (Buena Fortuna?) I haven't taken Spanish in a long time!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for your answers Seth. :thumbup:
"Buena suerte" is better. In Spain speakers came from stock HU directly. Amplifiers are in the soundmodul or HK systems.
Where does balanced outputs came from. Soundsystem output?

I know that in sub it doesnt matter cuality of input but I want to amplify all the speakers, that´s why I don´t know what to do.
Amplifier with speaker level inputs? ampli and HI/LO conversor? or remove HU(best cuality, no oem look) :dunno:
Thanks for all and excuse me for my english :thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gracias

Thanks a lot seth, thats a great post. Some of the technical stuff is a little over my head, but for someone with little idea about how it all works that was a great thing to read before making decisions for myself.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
m3ericc said:
Thanks a lot seth, thats a great post. Some of the technical stuff is a little over my head, but for someone with little idea about how it all works that was a great thing to read before making decisions for myself.
I can't take credit for it, but I felt like it was a "must read" for anyone even pondering an audio upgrade in an E46. At least you can figure out how things are now, so you can use existing wires and the like for any upgrades.

·
Registered
48 Posts
FYI on the SVEN4 or SVEN2

I went to walmart for something else even though i hate that place and noticed in their car audio section they have a standard line-level converter.

The thing is, it has the same or very very similar circuitry (audio transformer, some caps, etc) as the SVEN. If someone is in a pinch, they should try this $18 part - its a 4 channel unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
non-HK and Nav?

This DIY is awesome! I think I'm going to go for a sub and amp soon, but I have a non-HK and Nav system in my MY2004 M3 Coupe. How different is the install? I know the nav DVD drive and HU are in the area where this DIY shows the amp being installed. Is there a similar DIY for non-HK and Nav cars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks so much for the information. I used this last weekend and it was extremely valuable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
can someone please tell me where to tap in for the LOC (hi-low converter)??? i know the rear speakers, but I heard you are supposed to tap in before the amp, and if this is true, what is the wiring diagram for the non-HK amp?? and just to make sure is the amp on the driver side or the passenger side?? my car is an '02 325ci (and this is just for simple a mono-subs install

·
Registered
0 Posts
nice DIY but just wanna know, will this work with 05 ZHP, that came w/ HK + NAV ? i not to sure cause i try to install an amp for my mid and high (since i already got the bass) they say that if i add just the amp i will lost the NAV's voice? so if you can give me an wiring diagram, or a link how to. thank you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks!

Everyone, thanks for posting. This will help me out with some things I want to do with my 03 330i. At the very least let me know what I am in for.

I replaced my stock head unit with the alpine cda-9855. So I might just go directly from the head unit and rewire. However, I may just use a similar approach. Oh and finally, thanks for sourcing the links!:clap:

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks!

Everyone, thanks for posting. This will help me out with some things I want to do with my 03 330i. At the very least let me know what I am in for.

I replaced my stock head unit with the alpine cda-9855. So I might just go directly from the head unit and rewire. However, I may just use a similar approach. Oh and finally, thanks for sourcing the links!:clap:

·
Burns Rubber(s)
710 Posts
q

41 - 60 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.