E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced the alternator in my (now) son's BMW. It took me a minute to find a DIY. So I am reposting some one else's DIY with my own tags just in case some one searches the way I do.

Just FYI, I bought the OEM part from Autozone but the pulley stuck out too far and the belt would not sit properly. They gave me my $$ back. I went to Advance Auto Parts and got a ToughOne Alternator and it was an exact OEM replacement. Working now in the dark of the night I had it replaced and running in about 20 minutes.

on this DIY where it says use a T50 socket to de-tension the belt, my car had a 13mm bolt instead.

I hope this helps some one.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
How's the ToughOne alternator so far? I want to get the Bosch one from Advanced Auto, but it would take a week to ship, and I have class in a couple of days.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO issues so far. I have ran my battery down a few times with just playing the radio and still the alternator has charged it back up and still running strong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No worries with the tough one it's a Bosch reman just with a tough one name it's the advance auto cheap one it's still made by Bosch and rebuilt in the USA so go for it and save some money it even has Bosch stamped on it just my two cents if your doing it your self fallow these steps 1. Disconnect battery 2. Remove air box 3. Remove power steering reservoir 4. Remove fan and fan cover 5. Remove belt 6. Loosen alternator 7. Disconnect power to alternator 8. Remove alternator 9. Check over hoses and belts and anything else that might need replaced while the stuff is out of the way 10. Reverse all the steps and kick back and feel great about saving a ton of cash and not letting the stealership get over on another family member of the bmw family any questions just pm me thanks for reading:thumbsup::woot:

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
No worries with the tough one it's a Bosch reman just with a tough one name it's the advance auto cheap one it's still made by Bosch and rebuilt in the USA so go for it and save some money it even has Bosch stamped on it just my two cents if your doing it your self fallow these steps 1. Disconnect battery 2. Remove air box 3. Remove power steering reservoir 4. Remove fan and fan cover 5. Remove belt 6. Loosen alternator 7. Disconnect power to alternator 8. Remove alternator 9. Check over hoses and belts and anything else that might need replaced while the stuff is out of the way 10. Reverse all the steps and kick back and feel great about saving a ton of cash and not letting the stealership get over on another family member of the bmw family any questions just pm me thanks for reading:thumbsup::woot:
I found a video of a guy doing the swap out without removing the fan, so I went that route. Took about 2 hours doing it in -10 celsius weather. The hardest parts were getting the alternator out (since it's really wedged in there), putting one of the bolts back in (lining the alternator up was rather tough and requires a lot of jiggling), and slipping the belt back on with the fan being there. I didn't have a breaker bar and a shallow well socket for the belt torque, so I ghetto-rigged a ratchet with a regular socket, and there wasn't much room for it to move with the fan still in the car. In the end, it worked out. It just took a lot of fidgeting and wondering if I'm doing things right or if the parts are just stuck and I need to apply more force.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I had same problem with my 328i doing the water pumper over the winter didn't have the bmw tool for the fan belt so I made one will show pic the alternator was a bit of a :censor: getting in and out just had to play with it a bit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha, when I used to do this stuff with my dad, I think we just used two wrenches for taking out the fan...one to hold the fan in place and one to take the bolt out. Huzzah, poor BMW drivers and our makeshift tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts