E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the car for 3 weeks, I've given it a good go but I can say I am disappointed with my Factory Fit Bluetooth in a UK 3 series (320d). I have a Sony Ericson T610 bought especially as it is "fully" compatible.

I was expecting some "wonder system" for the £600 (uk sterling) I paid for it, plus the additional £60 for the phone cradle.

My findings are as follows:

1) Travel over 50 mph and forget it, the other person will struggle to hear you, and you repeat yourself 10 times just to have a conversation. People I call say I sound terrible, all they hear is road noise hiss.
2) Phone Locks Up. Sometimes when I press phone button to finish a call the whole system will lock up. This is phone, bluetooth and Radio (no music comes back on). I have to undock the phone and switch it on and off just to bring it all back to life. Must do this every few days.
3) Phone drops bluetooth connection as you click the answer button on steering wheel. Again have to undock phone and switch off to sort out again.
4) Dialing number from phone does not engage bluetooth system, will only start bluetooth when selected from contacts via stearing wheel. I have to press as if I am selecting a contact in address book, cancel it and quickly press the "1" on the phone to get to my answer phone as it is not a number in my contacts list. This will get it through the bluetooth.
5) People have commented that when duplexing in calls (both talking together) they only catch part of what I am saying. Now I don't know if the system is full duplex or not but I would expect (and hope) it is.

Is it just me? Or are others having the same problems. What about other SE T610/616 users? Does your phone behave as it should. Do you think a phone firmware upgrade would help?

I did really expect much more from this system for the price. My old £30 bluetooth headset is better.

Should I think about going back to my old Nokia 6310 as these seem to be the phones the system was built for. Is a shame as I like the T610 and it's features. I may try the Nokia for a week as a test and see if it is any better.

:dunno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, but I use a T630, which is exactly the same as the T610 execept for the screen, and it works perfectly with BT.

I haven't tried talking while driving over 50 MPH though. I usually just slow down to talk since talking on the phone, BT or not, is distracting and at high speeds could easily kill you.

One thing that might help is "unbranding" your phone to get rid of all the junk your cell company puts on the phone and just load up a clean firmware.

-Psy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Psychomancer said:
I haven't tried talking while driving over 50 MPH though. I usually just slow down to talk since talking on the phone, BT or not, is distracting and at high speeds could easily kill you.
It's not as reckless as it sounds :shhh: I do speak on the move but we are only talking 60-70mph here.

I got the latest firmware and no change. Gave up in the end and now have a new shiny Motorola V600 and it works perfectly. My faith in BMW Bluetooth (and my sanity) restored. I guess I was just unlucky with my phone.

:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts