BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but as from my previous thread I'm going to replace my DISA unit. I cannot seem to find the actual part on that site anymore. $175 is a bargain compared to other sites and dealer pricing.
Unfortunately there was a BIG price hike, I cannot recall, but they went up about $75.

An option, but you need to understand the option is the German Auto Solutions DISA valve repair kit. But this does not address a leaking or blown vacuum diaphragm.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
a disa valve is something you don't to fuk around with. just go OEM and you wont regret it.
Yea i was going to go OEM regardless I figured the one jfoj mentioned was OEM for $177. Regardless, I bought a new one today from the dealer and installed it. DISA is fixed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
An option, but you need to understand the option is the German Auto Solutions DISA valve repair kit. But this does not address a leaking or blown vacuum diaphragm.
Interesting. I was thinking about using the kit but now I may just replace the whole thing.

Everyone seems to claim their vacuum is good when they use the kit.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I used the GAS kit preemptively on a DISA valve that was fine that I obtained from a forum member for free. I also have the original and it's fine as well. If this one fails somehow I'll just switch the kit over to the other one. I don't see the problem. Cheaper than a new valve and I have other issues to spend the money on.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Interesting. I was thinking about using the kit but now I may just replace the whole thing.

Everyone seems to claim their vacuum is good when they use the kit.
For what it's worth, you can easily test the vacuum pot in step #4 here: http://germanautosolutions.com/diy_tech/disa_repair_kit/m54_disa_kit_diy.php and if it eventually does go bad, G.A.S. offers a 5 year warranty on all the original remaining parts of the DISA. They'll credit you the full price of the kit towards a new DISA if the vacuum pot or any other component fails. Full warranty info at the bottom of this page: http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_...sa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php.

There are some older prices mentioned earlier in the thread, so if you decide to go with a new unit, here are current prices at the moment for a new Genuine BMW DISA (#11617544805):

·
Registered
254 Posts
GAS DISA rebuild kit. It addresses the huge problem with the metal pin screwing your whole engine. Make sure your diaphragm is in working condition first

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
A few comments,

1. Not sure how you can move the GAS parts from one DISA to another IF you used the Loctite that was included with the parts? You may be able to heat the flap up to soften the Loctite, not sure, but my understanding is the Loctite is pretty solid stuff.

2. As for the GAS Warranty, be careful about how you read things. GAS will not sell you a replacement DISA as cheap as you can buy it for, they probably charge close to $320 for an OEM DISA, their Gold DISA is basically $400. Just beware as GAS does not clearly outline theSi pricing of the Warranty replacement item.

Since the OEM DISA price increase the GAS kit is more appealing and I think they may have even dropped their repair kit price a bit since the kit was released, just be aware the 5 year Warranty on the DISA for the diaphragm does come at a cost to you as the consumer.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
what mileage point are these safe up until?

i mean, could they fall apart at 30k?

or is this a 100k thing

is there an updated unit that won't fail?

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
what mileage point are these safe up until?

i mean, could they fall apart at 30k?

or is this a 100k thing

is there an updated unit that won't fail?
Good question, I think the original molded main seal may only last 40-50k miles. My 2006 330ci E46 had the DISA replaced under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty around 40k miles as I recall, recently replaced the main O-ring at about 85k (45k on the replacement) and the DISA was in fine shape.

The actual DISA flap, I would say on most cars you should expect it to hold up to about 100k. Not sure if how the car is driven and if an automatic or manual transmission may put more wear and tear on the DISA.

I know the last one I replaced that was about 10 years old and about 130k mile and the hex shaft was totally rounded off and the diaphragm was leaking, but nothing was broken or missing.

So I think maybe 100k depending on the driving conditions.

But for anyone that acquires an E46 in the future, the DISA should be an immediate inspection item.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
mmm, 62k on an 04, 11 yrs, i dunno, think i'm ok for now

without digging, cuz it slips my mind, what is the main sign of it failing? performance or is there a code

·
Registered
502 Posts
mmm, 62k on an 04, 11 yrs, i dunno, think i'm ok for now

without digging, cuz it slips my mind, what is the main sign of it failing? performance or is there a code
Flap won't stay open if you plug the vacuum hole. I've got 81k on an '04, my diaphragm was still good, but the yellow crank lever that holds the flap open was so ground down, it did not hold the flap anymore. The GAS kit was good for my situation.

I check the DISA vacuum with every oil change, it's simple to do. My old 325i had 145k on it before I had to change the DISA due to a failed diaphragm.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Flap won't stay open if you plug the vacuum hole. I've got 81k on an '04, my diaphragm was still good, but the yellow crank lever that holds the flap open was so ground down, it did not hold the flap anymore. The GAS kit was good for my situation.

I check the DISA vacuum with every oil change, it's simple to do. My old 325i had 145k on it before I had to change the DISA due to a failed diaphragm.
what's your test method, i've never even been concerned with it with low mileage, so i gota get into this

is there a way to check it without pulling it out?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
. . .
2. As for the GAS Warranty, be careful about how you read things. GAS will not sell you a replacement DISA as cheap as you can buy it for, they probably charge close to $320 for an OEM DISA, their Gold DISA is basically $400. Just beware as GAS does not clearly outline theSi pricing of the Warranty replacement item.
. . .
That's a good point, and I shot Katy at G.A.S. a quick e-mail this morning asking for some clarification on their warranty. According to her, they will credit the original purchase price of the repair kit towards an "OEM DISA valve unit priced at the actual retail value we paid for it from the local BMW dealership (currently $339)." They're based in Wyoming, MI and Sharpe BMW is likely the local dealership (less than 10 minutes away).

Since they don't make any money on the replacement unit and simply pass the cost on, I asked if they would consider extending that offer to other dealerships, as an OE DISA can be purchased considerably cheaper elsewhere and would end up saving their customers money. Realize that means confirming proof of purchase, but seems like a reasonable question given they don't make any profit on the new unit anyway. Haven't heard anything back on that yet, but will update this post when I do.

Katy did say that they "haven't technically implemented the warranty process yet, as no one has reported any failures after installing our re-build kit," so it's not an issue they've had to deal much with yet.

Update: Katy followed-up and said they'd "definitely consider purchasing [the unit from other dealerships], and base the warranty discount on the actual price paid, in order to keep costs down for everyone."

·
Registered
254 Posts
The DISA on my car at 110k was in almost perfect condition. The silicone molded gasket was a bit worn(and a PITA to get off) but otherwise the flap and everything was nice and tight and worked fine. I still rebuilt with the GAS kit

21 - 40 of 55 Posts