BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
is the background noise normal in video #1? (othrer than the disa rattle).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was able to replace this by removing the air mass meter from the air filter box and the air mass meter from the hose connected to it. There was plenty of room. Just have to be careful not to drop the screws. For taking out the screws I used a US socket on a rachet and put the 40 bit in it. When I tried to use a regular short screw driver the lower tube connected to the hose of the air mass filter broke. It was pretty brittle. There was basically a short plastic tube with a black wire in it. The short tube part broke at the L connector. Does anyone know what this does? I'm guessing its some kind of sensor for the computer.

It seems to run fine and hasn't thrown any codes just starting up. I don't notice any suction from the tube when its running.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove fine. I cut the remaining vacuum tubing off and replaced it with some I bought from a parts store.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jeffmr,
this tube seems to be connected to fuel filter, but it might be good idea to check this.
Blow into this tube, seems you will not blow it. Then disconnect far end from fuel filter and blow again.
I have M52TU engine so I do not have this to check, please post results if you'll do this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I can try but what is the purpose of this going to the fuel filter? Do you know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for putting this up!

Pulled the car in yesterday and out comes the DISA valve. Sure enough, it's got about 30-40 degrees of free rotation around the yellow drive shaft. But, could not get the yellow drive shaft out. Took a plastic golf tee, mic'ed it and drilled a slightly smaller hole in the shaft. A little epoxy as a 'lube' and forced it in to place. Cut to length and it's nice a tight. Re-installed and tested - no rattle any more.:thumbsup:

Drove it to work this morning and the mid range torque is just great.:woot:
For sure I'll have to get another DISA valve but atleast it ain't rattling anymore.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts