BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lower intake boot still eludes me. I can't get a single on of my sockets in there to loosen it considering the screw on the metal clamp is turned downwards towards the floor. So I cleaned up the disa and threw it back in. Anyone have a suggestion for getting that damn boot out? Also, its about that time for a tranny flush, good DIY? And removing the IAC, had the bolts off today, but didn't wanna pull it took hard, how to remove? It seemed like it was still being held there but not with a bolt, maybe with rubber or a wire and I didn't wanna break anything.

·
Registered
26,417 Posts
Smoke,

Hey! I believe the clamp uses a 4-6 mm socket...maybe more likely the 4-5 than 6...but don't remember so well.

If it's facing down, then I know some have had to go underneath to get that clamp off. If you can wait for a dealer on monday, I know they'll have the clamp if you need to cut this one off...carefully!

I forget how icv comes off exactly, but know I took mine off with TB. Also, if memory serves, there were a few unrelated screws around there, or screws that were to a bracket or elect mount to the left...oh, also, you know, it is stuck into a rubber grommet...a cone of rubber that keeps it sealed well, so it might be hung up on that. But, before you conclude it's only that and yank too hard, make sure you have the screws off and positions remembered! You maybe taking photos along the way?

Also, not positive, but I know the icv is on a bracket, somehow...that's what that rubber thing around it buckles onto...again, it was a while ago, so forget exactly how it's on there, but screws, bracket is about all I recall.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump:

·
Registered
26,417 Posts
A bump for you...and also, maybe you could get the clamp loosened with a few turns of pliers...then swing it up top...but still, many just work from below.

Also, hope someone remembers how to get icv off better than me. Have you checked the diys on this...has to be there somewhere.

GL to you!

Doug

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It's a 6mm and you need a 1/4" socket driver with a flex shaft or a flex extension, and a 6mm socket. They look like springs and make that job 10x easier.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Lower intake boot still eludes me. I can't get a single on of my sockets in there to loosen it considering the screw on the metal clamp is turned downwards towards the floor. So I cleaned up the disa and threw it back in. Anyone have a suggestion for getting that damn boot out? Also, its about that time for a tranny flush, good DIY? And removing the IAC, had the bolts off today, but didn't wanna pull it took hard, how to remove? It seemed like it was still being held there but not with a bolt, maybe with rubber or a wire and I didn't wanna break anything.
my boot was the same way. look for a stub flat heat screw driver.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my boot was the same way. look for a stub flat heat screw driver.
thats probably gonna work. ill pic one up tomorrow. still cant find either a vid or a really good diy for the tranny flush?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did mine a couple of weeks ago and it was a pain. What you need to do is cut through the small branch line that comes off of the lower intake to the ICV. This will give you enough room to remove the large clamp holding the intake boot onto the throttle body allowing you to remove it. Once you have the intake removed you will then have just enough room to squeeze your hand down there with the small flat blade screwdriver facing upwards in your palm. It takes a while and you scratch your hand up but this method will allow you to get the small clamp off.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I used a 1" extension and smallish 1/4" ratchet + a box wrench no prob. I think the u-joint just got in the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts