BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the subs (Alpine Type R) 12's be pointed up into the back of the cabin or out facing the back of the trunk? My installer was thinking up to push the sound out through holes he is going to drill?

I have heard of other opinions of increasing the distance the bass travels, thus, out towards the back of the car.

Facing towards you when you open the trunk would be more appealing I would think to?

Help me out please.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Im boulding the Type R 10s so that they point forwards. You will be able to see them through the skibag hole/rear armrest.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Do you have fold down rear seats?

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
wow.. i think u got gyped. don't all cars come atleast with an armrest?!? it really depends on the subs i guess. personally i like them better when they're not facing foward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have armrests for the front seat...This is the sedan 4dr 325i US model.

Luxury and Sport Package but no damn ski hole.

AM I GOING TO BE IN TROUBLE IN TERMS OF BASS???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is everyone's suggestions in getting bass in the cabin if you do not have a ski pass hole in the seat...im aware of punching the prefab out...

?

·
Registered
409 Posts
active, i'll be honest with ya, you're going to have it a little bit tougher than most. just mod'd my entire system with a 12" in back (the box is sh$tty and small). I could barely hear bass coming from my back, so i punched out the ski hole...and it's not 'better', but i am not getting the full sound that i had in my old car. the trunk is so damn well sealed, it's going to be tough. someone once told me that it might be best to split the back channels...use 1 for a small sub and one as a full speaker. it's not tough to set it up this way, but it sounds kind of strange to me...

depends what type of bass you like, but i'll bet if you have 2 12's, you should hear it just fine anyway...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm putting up $1200 for a custom box, two 12 type r alpines, and an xtant 6001 mono sub amp. Monster all...

This includes all the labor. I hope his experience pays off.

His thoughts were to drill holes throughout and remove the foam insulation in the rear...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I could have sworn I replied on this thread about this, but maybe it was someone else's question...

Why can't you just remove the stock rear speakers (pods and all) and use THOSE holes as make-shift ports for your bass in the trunk? It seems much easier than asking the guy to drill random holes everywhere (makes me cringe just thinking about it)...

You can even keep the stock grills on the rear deck, but as long as there are no actual speakers/pods, the bass should be able to resonate out.

Thoughts?

activethermal said:
Do you think drilling strategic holes to "perforate" the back will allow the bass to come through?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know what your exact setup is, but from my experience, if you have strong enough subs with enough power supporting them, you should be able to "feel" the bass from anywhere in your car. I have 2 JL 10w6v2s powered by a 1000watt amp, and if i crank it up, i can feel the bass from the back of the seat. I have my ski hole punched out because I don't have the fold-down seats, but it doesn't sound any different than when it wasn't cut out.

I honestly don't know how powerful the Alpine type-R subs are, but you'll most likely be able to hear/feel the bass regardless.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Someone also said remove the rear speakers so that the bass can enter the cabin, but what about "rear-fill?" If u're looking for sound quality, don't you want to make it seem like the sound is coming from every direction?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The rear speakers in the non-hk setup are currently set for midbass frequencies only. It relies on the tweeters and midrange in the back (at least for the coupes) to provide the mids/highs. Assuming he keeps those other speakers working, he should continue to get some rear-fill even w/o the rear woofers.

Rear-fill is somewhat of a misnomer. Most audiophiles will say that the ideal situation is to have a front soundstage. ie: when you go to a concert, you don't have bands playing behind you, right? The reason rear-fill is even mentioned is because bass in a car system usually is physically sourced in the trunk. Although lower frequencies are omni-directional, those poor bastards sitting in the back will obviously get more bass than highs. Rear-fill is then usually reserved for the mid-high frequencies to "mask" the fact that bass is coming directly from the rear.

In order to get a really nice soundstage, the ideal would be to have a strong midbass pressence up front, which would draw the stage forward.

JB28 said:
Someone also said remove the rear speakers so that the bass can enter the cabin, but what about "rear-fill?" If u're looking for sound quality, don't you want to make it seem like the sound is coming from every direction?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I know that in the E36 without skibag, it is ready for skibag. You only have to punch through the metal. Look behind the carpet in the trunk or behind the rear seat. Then you can see if ist like this in the E46.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts