BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 330Ci, and I was looking into the Dinan Stage 3 Engine Software, and it says it is "For use with Dinan throttle body." I was wondering if the software requires the throttle body or if I can use the software without it? Also, I was wondering how much horsepower and torque the software will give on average, because the Active Autowerke software says it can get you, "15 HP gain & 12 ft lbs of torque?"

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Not a big fan if Dinan software. Will not even go into what had to go through and Dinan thinks they never do anything wrong!

Anyway, suggest you consider Evolve as they seem to be doing a lot of tunes lately and you you can flash your DME, you will not need to pay anyone labor $.

http://www.evolvetuning.us/bmw/3-series/330i-2005/engine-c679/ecu-c686.html

Peak power is not what tunes should be all about, it should also help driveability and have power over a wide RPM band.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
The Dinan software says that about the throttle body because the tune is optimized for it. Fairly sure it will work without it, but it's tuned for the larger t-body. It's not really custom tuned to your car/mods but for a car that has the Stage 3 mods in the Dinan lineup. So the best gains won't be as good with the stock t-body size.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
Not a big fan if Dinan software. Will not even go into what had to go through and Dinan thinks they never do anything wrong!

Anyway, suggest you consider Evolve as they seem to be doing a lot of tunes lately and you you can flash your DME, you will not need to pay anyone labor $.
http://www.evolvetuning.us/bmw/3-series/330i-2005/engine-c679/ecu-c686.html

Peak power is not what tunes should be all about, it should also help driveability and have power over a wide RPM band.
I don't even see Evolve for the E46 non-M ?
Also that Evolve downloader is pretty high priced compared to something like the Jim Conforti Shark Injector. Then again the Shark is a generic tune for a set engine where AA and Evolve are closer to custom tunes. Dinan and JC Shark are more basic tunes for the everyday guy.

I agree, Peak power numbers are not what a good tune is about.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It does cost more but it is tested and proven not to ruin your engine over time. I run dinan products and I love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So overall which do you think is a better software for the money; the shark injector, the active autowerke software, or the dinan software?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Evolve is very impressive. They will do tunes for ours cars- I've spoken with them before. They do a lot of work on the M3.

They told me I really shouldn't get a tune from them on my mostly stock car- but if I had my car more heavily modded it might be worth it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
That seems like a lot of money for 10-20 hp. And I thought BMW tune was already pretty optimized for driveability? Do these tunes really add anything? I come from the old american muscle world, where 1000$ could yield 50-100 hp!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You won't get anywhere close to the gains/$ in the BMW world. BMW tunes are generally good, not all of them. For example the E82/E90 125i/325i/128i/328i are detuned so that they give more space to the 135i/335i.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
So overall which do you think is a better software for the money; the shark injector, the active autowerke software, or the dinan software?
For the "average joe" with basic intake/exhaust mods I would say of those three the Shark . You can load/unload it yourself with the self contained tool it's in, Conforti does a good job with the tune and fuel maps and throttle. Rev limit raised and top speed governor also removed.
I think the AA would give the best gains though.

That seems like a lot of money for 10-20 hp. And I thought BMW tune was already pretty optimized for driveability? Do these tunes really add anything? I come from the old american muscle world, where 1000$ could yield 50-100 hp!
Not much on the M54. On newer cars with stock FI they can really do a lot.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pretty much whatever you do will be good just depends on you. I like dinan vs active autowerks but either way your only going to gain maybe what 30 max

1 - 13 of 13 Posts