BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,,im kinda new to this performance mod stuff. can anyone splain or point me to a thread or website of what the dinan software and cai acutally does.
thanks in advance

·
yuppie racing
1,927 Posts
den-

If your serious about them, Dave at motorworks west in wyckoff quoted a price of 1,048 dollars for the CAI, stage 2 software, and installation. I was thinking about checking out the place, if your up for a trip...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hm... 1050 dollars for that well the intake is 400 + 400 for the softwar thats 800, so the labor is 200!!! omg just install the intake yourself with the DIY on this website then drive there and get the software DL.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmwti said:
den-

If your serious about them, Dave at motorworks west in wyckoff quoted a price of 1,048 dollars for the CAI, stage 2 software, and installation. I was thinking about checking out the place, if your up for a trip...
ted - may be up for it..not a bad price if it really does something to the car....and doesnt void warrantees...oh and im not even gonna try this install myself..car is too expensive to f***k up

·
Registered
433 Posts
in addition

Does anyone know if the software they install is a whole package or can they remove a specific item from the software upgrade if they want?

For example, I have the Stg 2 with my CAI, and I guess it's mostly for matching the fuel to the new increase in cooler air or some BS whatever they say. (IMO it's a rip off and Samir said our DME's would adjust for the change by themselves. So I don't know why I even bought it, but thats another story!)

Anyway, so it sorts out the new cold air, up the rev limit by a few hundred RPM, removes speed limiter and supposedly quickens the throttle response. BUT it's that last part that I don't like very much. Sometime the throttle is too sensitive and seems to even rev at different speeds. (it will be revving nice and smooth and then just rocket up fast in the revs) Anyway, it's like driving the M's with the sport button always on, which I never liked either.

So basically what I'm asking is, do you think they could just "de-program" that part of my Stg 2 software while leaving the rest intact? I would imagine it's possible, just wondering if anyone else knew for sure. I guess tomorrow I'll call Dinan and find out for sure.

TIA

·
Registered
194 Posts
ok this is what i been told
stage 2 have all of what stage 1 have
stage 3 have all of what stage 1 and 2
and they cannot remove a feature
sorry

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to the board. Actually, I would recommend doing a search on this topic, a lot has been discussed re: this specific topic over the last two weeks.

Regardless of how you have the hardware (CAI) installed, I highly recommend getting the software to go along with it. Many people try to cut corners and cost by leaving out the software and making their OBDII system try to reprogram itself to handle the new hardware. That is what you would do if you had a Honda, not a German designed, built and heavily software controlled car!

Ask Dinan what benefit the software offers vs. not having it (yea, they are going to recommend it because it is a sale for them, but they are honest down to earth guys who are recognized by BMW as the only mod company who will not void the factory warranty, so give them credit for knowing what they are talking about.):) :thumbup:

I love my setup and think it was my best mod yet. It was also the first one I got and it is worth every penny I paid for the whole mod, CAI and software. Not to mention that when you buy the Level I software and then get the CAI and level II software, you get a credit from the level I to apply to the cost of level II so you aren't getting double dipped.:thumbup:

Level I is awesome, it raises the rev limits and shift points as well as removing the electronically (there we go again with those Germans controlling every aspect of the car with software) controlled up speed limiter. WWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEE:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
129 Posts
In regards to the post on throttle response. I too had that problem for the first week or so, while the car got used to the new program and CAI.

Not having the software will lengthen the amount of time it takes for your car to reprogram itself and get used to the mod. It will also result in an even more pronounced problem with throttle response.

Your throttle feels very touchy and sensitive and can give you whip lash if you aren't consistent in your launches for the first week or so. But after a while I found my launches to be smoother and faster after having the CAI and software I and II.

Don't forget that these cars reprogram themselves on an ongoing basis to respond to the way you drive your car. Then it stores it in your key like a cookie, so if you have two or more drivers with different keys and driving styles, your car will drive somewhat differently driver to driver. This effects everyway your car operates, even down to the mileage one driver gets vs. the other.

Anyway, why try to except out parts of a software bundle when it is designed as a complete program to work in harmony with the engine and CAI. It is like trying to get Microsoft to leave out the thesauras or spellchecker in Word if you are an English major and don't want it. Believe it or not, that stuff really does help you out, so stick with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You're welcome. I love the pic in your signature, did you make it yourself? Well done for a newbie!!;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Liquid Metal said:
You're welcome. I love the pic in your signature, did you make it yourself? Well done for a newbie!!;)
yeah i did. im finally happy with this one.. but i wish i had my m lip on when i did it...owell.. when will i no longer be a newbie? lol:bawling:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I would go for the cai but avoid the engine software. According to Dinan, it doesn't do much (send me the $400 instead of buying the engine software :D ).

·
Registered
399 Posts
jp323i said:
I would go for the cai but avoid the engine software. According to Dinan, it doesn't do much (send me the $400 instead of buying the engine software :D ).
Why not get the CAI and then HIOP's chip? Mike330ci's zip file:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts