BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sick of Modding my car
446 Posts
Yes it is worth it, My friend just got it on his e46 M3, lil quicker response. 8500 redline, and top speed up to 201:yikes:

·
OG PapaSmurf
2,840 Posts
I have it, and the only reason its worht it.is the throttle respone, other than that, it does nothing useful.. Until the stage 3 comes out with the throttle bodies and intake..And, i;ve topped my car at 175mph, nd it will NOT go anymore than that, trust me. 201 is theoretical.

-Walter

·
Registered
906 Posts
I cant speak for an M3 but I love my software it made a pretty noticible difference in throttle response, shift points and top end.

·
Imported *******
855 Posts
Get it only if you're getting it with Dinan Throttle Body and CAI.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It is pretty much "useless" on the 325/330/M3. There are no real hp gains on those models, only the "feeling" you're going faster (or something like that).

·
Registered
968 Posts
while we're on the subject...

I have an appointment to get the Dinan CAI and Software installed on the 1st of Feb. I am slightly apprehensive about the noise of the CAI. I have brought it up before - I know. Can I get one more opinion that the CAI sucking sound will not annoy the piss out of me?

Please?

PS I have heard the sound bites - the roar at WOT is no prob and the hiss doesn't really come through well. The ECIS CAI intake review here reports that the guys wife is annoyed by the sound. That is exactly what I don't want. Is the Dinan any quieter than the ECIS?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Re: while we're on the subject...

noflash said:
I have an appointment to get the Dinan CAI and Software installed on the 1st of Feb. I am slightly apprehensive about the noise of the CAI. I have brought it up before - I know. Can I get one more opinion that the CAI sucking sound will not annoy the piss out of me?

Please?

PS I have heard the sound bites - the roar at WOT is no prob and the hiss doesn't really come through well. The ECIS CAI intake review here reports that the guys wife is annoyed by the sound. That is exactly what I don't want. Is the Dinan any quieter than the ECIS?
I have the Dinan CAI, TB and stage III s/w and i DEFINITELY feel a major difference on acceleration and at the top end. The CAI makes a slight whistling noise when you are accelerating in 1st and 2nd and when you accelerate hard at the higher gears. I wouldn't say that the sound is annoying by any means. I actually like to hear my baby whistling when she's happy :D The harder you accelerate, the louder the whistling, but even at pedal to the medal, it is not that loud. It's definitely way softer than I can whistle, at least it sounds like that in the driver's side.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Re: Re: while we're on the subject...

doughsun said:

I have the Dinan CAI, TB and stage III s/w and i DEFINITELY feel a major difference on acceleration and at the top end. The CAI makes a slight whistling noise when you are accelerating in 1st and 2nd and when you accelerate hard at the higher gears. I wouldn't say that the sound is annoying by any means. I actually like to hear my baby whistling when she's happy :D The harder you accelerate, the louder the whistling, but even at pedal to the medal, it is not that loud. It's definitely way softer than I can whistle, at least it sounds like that in the driver's side.

Hope this helps.
Glad to hear. I think Dinan is commited to staying away from ricey noisemakers, so I am less worried. I just had bad experiences modding my old Maxima's suspension. Turned out to be a huge mistake and it cost me. Just don't want to do that again.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Imported *******
855 Posts
Re: while we're on the subject...

noflash said:
lol. tell you what. When I got my 330i back from the Dinan place (TB + ECU + CAI), I was disappointed at how quiet the sucking sound was compared to what I thought it would be. It's not loud at all, and not annoying. Granted it's still a treat to hear the engine roar at wide open throttle, but by no means is it as loud as some imports with the big intakes.

Other than that, the gains from the package are worth every penny though!!!

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
Dinan doesnt currently make an M3 CAI. I'd suggest the Gruppe M ///M3 CAI :thumbup: It is expensive but hey, so is the M3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts