E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this subject in here before! I know there are a lot of people that dont care about their worranty but i do. I used to have modified car but for a while I want to have a maintanance free car. I asked BMW of Austin and they told me that they sell and install Dinan parts and they don't void your BMW warranty.

I still need to ask them if it voids your warranty if a third party company installed the Dinan parts?!? Please reply.

because they charge like 350 to flash your ECU and the intake is gonna cost you $400 + installation.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Dinan has there own warrenty for the BMW. It is not the same as BMW's warranty for the car.

keyster said:
I read about this subject in here before! I know there are a lot of people that dont care about their worranty but i do. I used to have modified car but for a while I want to have a maintanance free car. I asked BMW of Austin and they told me that they sell and install Dinan parts and they don't void your BMW warranty.

I still need to ask them if it voids your warranty if a third party company installed the Dinan parts?!? Please reply.

because they charge like 350 to flash your ECU and the intake is gonna cost you $400 + installation.

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
Why don't you go to a dealership that does not care about Mods? I think my service advisor has more mods on his car than I do, and then you could save some money and not buy Dinan products.

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
I don't exactly remember what the warranty act/law is called, but here it goes in a nutshell. They can't void you warranty on a certain part unless they can prove it failed as a result from installing a 3rd party product.

I.E if you install an Intake or Exhaust and your window regulator brakes a week later, they can't tell you they refuse to replace it under warranty because you installed aftermarket products. An Intake or Exhaust has nothing to do with the failure of a window regulator.

Now if you install a super charger and blow your enginge, yea... then they have ground to stand on, and can refuse warranty service.

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
Penguin Koolaid said:
I don't exactly remember what the warranty act/law is called, but here it goes in a nutshell. They can't void you warranty on a certain part unless they can prove it failed as a result from installing a 3rd party product.

I.E if you install an Intake or Exhaust and your window regulator brakes a week later, they can't tell you they refuse to replace it under warranty because you installed aftermarket products. An Intake or Exhaust has nothing to do with the failure of a window regulator.

Now if you install a super charger and blow your enginge, yea... then they have ground to stand on, and can refuse warranty service.
Very True :thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eBean said:
Dinan has there own warrenty for the BMW. It is not the same as BMW's warranty for the car.
I think I need to go back and ask the Dinan rep at the dealership here because that's not what he told me!! He said "if you install the Dinan parts it won't void any of your BMW warranties". Not even the Ext warranty.

But I'm gonna go ask them to give me a written note or something hehe Can't trust these guys!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RYANM330CI said:
Why don't you go to a dealership that does not care about Mods? I think my service advisor has more mods on his car than I do, and then you could save some money and not buy Dinan products.

Man! I wish I could! Austin is a pretty good size city but there is only one BMW dealership!

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
eBean said:
Correct. It even says so right on Dinan's web site. The rep at the dealer is flat-out lying to you.

Dinan equipment voids the BMW warranty exactly the same as any other aftermarket equipment. Dinan offers their own waranty to replace the parts of the BMW warranty that their equipment voids.

You MUST take your car to a Dinan-authorized dealer for warranty repairs. Any other dealer won't care if you have Dinan or ebay parts on your car, the BMW warranty on the parts you replaced is void. So if the nearest Dinan dealer is 200 miles away, get ready to take a long drive if you need warranty service on those parts or systems.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
You guys, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act doesn't address the Dinan guy's claim that they don't void any BMW warranties... it's a different issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts