BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if the dinan mods i purchased for my cars engine will increase or decrease my cars value over time?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
It depends on the buyer. Increase for some, likely decrease for most.

Most people don't want a car that's been modified - especially performance mods that can be imagined to have increased wear on the engine or promoted abuse by the driver.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mark how many points does the tranny software get you? I did not see it listed on the Dinan site.

My personal opinion on the Dinan upgrades would be that the would increase value if they were installed by the dealer. Dinan upgrades are warrantied right along with your BMW Warranty and Dinan mods are authorized for BMW by BMW.

I am not sure how to get a car qualified as a Signature Series since if you slowly add the mods to it, you eventually will have all that a signature series has on it. Perhaps getting your Dinan rep to get you signature series status would increase value as well.

The ordinary person off the street is not going to understand the Dinan value, but a BMW person will as will a BMW dealer taking it in trade (have to work that one since they never want to give you anythying over wholesale).

The general rule of thumb is that Mod's do not add value, but my personal opinion is that the Dinan will due to the fact that they are offered through the dealer and do not violate the factory warranty (all of this would have to be explained to the buyer, but in the end would justify your price).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Stage 1 software, Tranny software, and front strut will be finished up tomorrow. They were out of CAI's so it could not get finished. When it comes in, the CAI and throttle body and state 2 will be done.

If the car was not in warranty, I would probably shop elsewhere for the performance mods. Being in warranty, I want to keep it un hindered.

And was it not nice of them to give me a 4.4 X5 Dinan Modded loaner! Sold me on the exhaust that is for sure!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Dinan because he charges so much relative to the gains vs. other available mods. However, some people are big on Dinan and would place a high value on his crap.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A thought...

I have heard/read that BMW now has the "Dinan" CPO program. So I would think that given the buyer, the dealer will try to sell the car for a higher price. That is, since it's a CPO and Dinan modded (i.e. Dinan3). Higher price doesn't always translate into higher value, but in this case I think this is what BMW is shooting for.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
They do have a Dinan CPO. I read it somewhere and when I was buying my CPO 330Ci they had a Dinan 5 Series on the lot that was a CPO.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am very satified with my dinan mods. it feels like there is a good increase of power over stock, and instant throttle response. if i could do it again i would go the dinan route. yes it is expensive, but the warrenty is worth it.

ps. the auto tranny software gives u 1 point

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks Mark. I found out from Scott. I agree. I have only driven a little today, but the instant quick throttle response works nice even with just making a U turn and stepping on it. I also like the ability to bring the car to the red line in manual mode and not have the car decide it wants to shift before I do.

Keeping my warranty was my main reason for doing it and once badged, I will make sure to sell it as BMW Motorpsort optional equipment. I asked my Dinan rep to see if I could receive the Signature certification once I had all of the same items completed on the car. He is going to look into it as I would think having that would add value to it also.

I think of it along the lines of the AMG with Mercedes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts