E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how big of a difference I will notice by buying a dinan ECU stage 2 and a CAI for my 2002 330ci 5 spd. I already have the dinan exhaust and I am only using Dinan not to void my warrenty. Does anyone have the mods or know if I will notice a difference? Also if anyone knows where to get good pricing on Dinan products please let me know too. They are so expensive!!!
Thanks.

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,051 Posts
I think you will notice a much bigger difference if you get the Dinan 3.15 differential instead of the CAI and software, that is, if you have a 5 speed manual.

Also, a CAI and software will cost about $900 for parts and $255 (3 hours at $85 an hour) for labor. Total = $1155. At least, thats what I was quoted. A 3.15 diff will cost $1515 plus $314.50 (3.7 hours of labor at $85 an hour). This is, of course, if it's all done at a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the software is not worth the money. If you are ok driving your car in every gear at 7000 RPM then you will notice an improvement but your gas mileage goes down the toilet. My brother has a 323 when we raced stock to stock. I would take him by a car length. After we both have spend about 5k on mods our cars sound better and maybe run a little faster but his car has acutally picked up the car length on me. so we are now neck and neck each time we race. ( I think I got the short end of the stick) Spend your money pulleys or short shift kit!

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,302 Posts
I'm really fond of all my Dinan parts...I started with the exhaust, but didn't feel/notice any kind of difference until I got the Dinan CAI + Stage 2 software. Sure, other aftermarket brands are cheaper, but I'm a firm believer that Dinan makes quality parts and are worth the money, especially since BMW dealers don't give you sh*t for having them on there (if you're still under warranty.) When I got the CAI, they upgraded my software to Stage 2 for free; I guess they had already done Stage 1 and didn't charge me for it... So if you do decide to get the CAI + Stage 2, tell them that you already have Stage 1 and that your Dinan rep told you there's no charge for upgrading...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts