E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
i am 18 and have a 2000 232ci.....i want to get a Cold ait intake and not void my warrenty...therefore, Dinan is my only choice seeing that i only have 38k on the car and the warrenty lasts till 50 k .....so is the dinan a good product...i know it is a bit pricy. also on the site it says u have to get the enging softeare if u get the intake...is this true?
-thanks 4 ur help
-chris :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
what i've done is gone with the ECIS and i replace it with the stock airbox whenever i take the car in... in fact i may be selling my ECIS soon, b/c i'm thinking about getting in on the GruppeM GB.

I thin kthe ECIS and Benfer are better values for the money. I'm tihning about getting the Dinana ThrottleBody and stage3 SW for the same warranty reasons... i've got 4 years left and 35K miles left and i'm gonig to extend the warranty as long as i can. BUT for something as simple as the CAI i'd go with non-dinan if you aren't too lazy to change it when you take it in.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Welcome the board...that is correct Dinan wont void your warrenty...you can get software from them like probably what you would want todo with just an intake is get Stage 1...but I wouldnt worry about going with another manufactuer if something goes wrong you can always just stick the stock air box back on when you take it the dealer...also when a dealer voids a warrenty on something it would be just anything at has todo with what could affect it like an air intake it would be in the intake and manafold....but if you want to get Dinan you can its expensive...def not worth the amount since other intakes that are cheaper like the benfer intake runs better in dyno's...

·
Registered
77 Posts
yo i got the dinan cold air intake last summer, but its on the e36m3. Its forsure worth the money!!!!! trust me, i have to complaints, if u want it loud, choose dinan. and the software makes it even sweeter!! u can feel the results, and i mean feel!!! PM me if u have ?'s. and its carbon fiber which is sick as hellz
shale

·
yuppie racing
1,831 Posts
I dont know why you guys are telling him it's optional.

Listen you want a Dinan CAI and you dont want your warrenty voided right?? In order to not get the warranty voided you have to get the DINAN CAI with the stage 2 software and you have to have an authorized dealer install it otherwise you do NOT get the warrenty back up. I was quoted at $1048 for the CAI, software and installation from the dinan dealer...kinda hefty but again this is the only way if you dont want to void the warrenty.

YES, you could buy the dinan CAI used for cheaper and not get the software and it will run just fine, You really wont screw anything up. But when purchasing the the CAI through the dealer the software and installation is required to get dinan's warrenty.:thumbup:

and if you dont take my word for it this is a quote directly from their webpage -"A Stage 2 version of the Dinan Performance Engine Software is required when installing the systems"

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i would, if it wasnt 4 my dad. He wont let me...i even told him i could swap it on and off....he said dinan only unless i wait till warrenty is up.....but i anly have $600.00 :sad: :cry:

·
yuppie racing
1,831 Posts
BGReddy00 said:
they said you had to get stage 2 for just a CAI? why?
because thats how it is. Both an authorized dealer in pennsylvania and an authorized independant shop in NJ said the same thing. It also flat out says that the stage 2 software is required on their webpage. I dunno maybe some places are hooking people up with out it, but techinically thats not their policy.

And yes I know the the CAI will work ok without the software.

It just seems like many people aree misinformed about the DINAN CAI warrenty issue. They think that if they go out and buy a dinan CAI they are covered under warrenty. That is not the case, the only way it is covered is to have an authorized person install it themselves....and if you think about it, it makes sense. Why would they back up their product that you installed yourself in your own car and may have potentially screwed up??

·
Registered
543 Posts
is it hard to get like the GruppeM and switch it weverytime you go in..?

·
Registered
30 Posts
cool air intake

I was also looking into this..I have a 1999 323I. Not sure if this is completely correct; but the dealer told me that for the cool air intake for Dinan you have to get the stage 2 performance chip. They also mentioned that it wasn't a chip; but a software download.. (not sure about that either) can someone confirm.

·
yuppie racing
1,831 Posts
negari said:
is it hard to get like the GruppeM and switch it weverytime you go in..?
seriously the gruppeM is really really easy to install. MAybe the first time putting it in you maybe nervous and it might take you time to get everything right. it took me like 45 minutes and Im not a car mechanic. however I know that if i had to remove it and put it back in again, I could cut that time in half now.

Installing the DINAN and CAI which in most cases require you to remaove the frot bumper I believe, is alot more difficult.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i think i have decided to go benfer till I get some more mods like hamann skirts and my ice then ill go back and get a gruppe m....

·
yuppie racing
1,831 Posts
Re: cool air intake

MIGUEL323I said:
I was also looking into this..I have a 1999 323I. Not sure if this is completely correct; but the dealer told me that for the cool air intake for Dinan you have to get the stage 2 performance chip. They also mentioned that it wasn't a chip; but a software download.. (not sure about that either) can someone confirm.

correct it is NOT a chip. In simple terms, they open up your hood and plug some cable into a box and they download software to your ECU.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts