BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,162 Posts
I cut away part of the brake duct to make room for the filter. The back of the duct leading to the brakes is still there. Just not so much direct air cause it has to travel around the filter. Makes no diff to me. :D

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
No, I kept the stock air box when I installed the TS. I use an AFE Pro Dry S drop in panel filter. No oil to foul the MAF.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just did some more research and answered my own question. It looks like the new version of the Dinan CAI doesn't obstruct the brake duct but the install does sound like a PITA:

Dinan Intake Install Guide

Very easy install! not a PITA at all. As long as you have a hole saw the diameter of the tubing that goes to the brake duct and a screw driver, you can do the install.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very easy install! not a PITA at all. As long as you have a hole saw the diameter of the tubing that goes to the brake duct and a screw driver, you can do the install.
According to the install guide though, it says that you have to take out the headlight which on my car involves removing the front bumper if I recall correctly :eek:

I also heard from someone that the HID ballast gets in the way... is this true?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have it and I did it myself when I replaced my bumper. The install is easy without the bumper, really easy. No need to remove the Headlight
The instructions manual says that only a few car benefit from taking the headlight off.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Wow I didnt know you had to cut into the original intake, I thought it was a whole new kit/box
So its 300 for a filter, plastic tube, and a cover that says dinan? lol

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow I didnt know you had to cut into the original intake, I thought it was a whole new kit/box
So its 300 for a filter, plastic tube, and a cover that says dinan? lol
And on that note I just ordered one :thanks:

Seriously though, it is the best of all the options out there IMO...
  1. AFE: I'm not a fan of the way the metal top looks and I'm not convinced that hot air doesn't get inside since the metal top doesn't seal on all sides
  2. Conforti: There are way too many people who have had problems with this intake causing the SES light to come on; including myself.
  3. ECIS: Didn't want to try it because it seems too much like the Conforti.
  4. K&N: The box around the intake cone doesn't seal off from the whole engine bay which kind of defeats the point IMO and I've also heard lots of complaints in the past about the filtering capabilities of the K&N filters
  5. BMW Performance: Just costs way too much
  6. Dinan: Expensive for what you get, one of the harder installs for any aftermarket intake, and you have to "damage" your OEM intake and brake duct. In the end at least you are getting an intake that still looks somewhat stock with upgraded air flow and very little risk of throwing any codes

Just my $.02

·
Registered
507 Posts
According to the install guide though, it says that you have to take out the headlight which on my car involves removing the front bumper if I recall correctly :eek:

I also heard from someone that the HID ballast gets in the way... is this true?

Nothing got in the way on my car...maybe the coupe is different.

If you have to remove the bumper, that might be a PITA!! or go through the fender as mentioned above!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
are u talking about the new style dinan intake or the old... because i have the old tube style and yes you do have to cut into the brake duct in order for the filter to fit... obviously it obstructs the airflow in the brake duct but i am not sure if it creates problems... i havent had any yet at least

1 - 16 of 16 Posts