BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,
So I currently have a 2002 330ci (about 1 year left on lease) and my dad has a clk430. I went to the benz dealer this weekend with his 430 and they had a clk55 on the lot. I asked about the buyout on the 430 lease and what the price was on the clk55. It was a 2001 clk55 with a out 15k miles.

So I drove the clk55 and OMG. It is out of control. So fast it is crazy. Seems much faster than the 2001 m3 i drove (6 speed not SMG). I also loved the touchshift, despite the fact that I thought I would hate it after my e36m3 and 330 both being manuals. My dilemma is that they are offering me a great deal on the clk55, basically a price comparable to an m3 as we have been buying mercedes here for almost 20 years. What are your thoughts on this guys, should I get the clk55?

Also, for what it's worth, this also felt much, much faster than my bro's 2001 s4 ;).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
They're insanely fast in a straight line, with that added torque that a big Merc V8 provides. However, the handling is not anywhere close to what you're used to with BMWs.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,569 Posts
It really depends on your needs/wants...if you want a more sporty car with a lot of refined luxury that actually match mercedes in many cases...then go with the M3. If you want a more luxury oriented car with basically straight line speed and great looks...go with the mercedes.

Personally I would go with the M3 cause I am more of a sporty/performance guy. I also think the M3 has a more masculine look than the CLK55. I also like the idea of a new car, cause then you know that you are the one that broke it in and no1 has messed with it. So it really depends on what YOU want...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Youre saying a price comparable to an M3, but that isn't that great a deal, with the introduction of the new CLK, the old body CLK (01) prices have dropped, a CLK55 with that mileage is only worth low to mid 40's. Check the bay if you don't beleive me.

As for the car itself, the CLK55 is an amazing car, it really depends if you're looking for a sporty coupe or a sports car. The M3 is a sports car. I think of the CLK55 as a touring coupe. It's got plenty of power and luxur but doesn't have the handilng of an M3.

They're both great cars, just different in their own right.

Thanks,
Adam

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,569 Posts
Smoltz said:
I think of the CLK55 as a touring coupe. It's got plenty of power and luxur but doesn't have the handilng of an M3.

They're both great cars, just different in their own right.

Thanks,
Adam
Yes but ur forgetting one thing...the M3 could easily be a good tourer as well...u could go autox it in the morning...the wash it and detail it and cruise in the evening...so I wouldnt rule the M3 out in the luxo category either...

·
Registered
946 Posts
m3 doesnt have a luxurious look 2 it, like the regular 3 series coupes . First thing that comes into my head when i see an m3 is sports car

·
Registered
409 Posts
i would say go with the clk 55.. i love the m3 to death, but the clk is just amazing.. my friend has one, and with 4 people in his car the thing still pulled like crazy at speeds around 120+ plus the v8 sounds soo sweet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts