BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something odd today....when cycling through my various computer readouts (temp, range, etc....) I noticed that my mpg readout is reading 0.0. It isn't changing at all, just stuck on zero. It usually reads my average mpg.

The needle "instant" mpg in my instrument cluster is working fine, and all other readings are fine. Anyone else experience this? What's the deal?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine does that every once in a while. Never find out further with the dealership but my guess is that it recalibrate itself on a timely cycle.
A technical answer will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Go into the OBC and check if the fuel tank level sensors are both working.
(Check the Easter Eggs thread to find out how to go int the OBC)
If the sensors are fine and reading correctly, you should probly go see a mech or the doctors at the stealership.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've seen that once before on my car. What I did to correct it was press the OBC button until I got to the one displaying the MPG readout and then hold the button in. (I can't recall how many secs it takes to reset it...it's been a while but I can't recall if the display blinks to indicate the reset has occurred.) After that, when you drive again, you'll notice the MPG reading will change.

This same reset procedure could also be used if you want to reset your average speed as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts