BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here! :D

I purchased a '99 328i a few weeks ago to replace my totalled '00 Prelude. I love the car, but I have a couple problems with the transmission (manual of course).

It's very difficult to get it into 1st gear when the car is stopped. I normally have to put it into 3rd or 4th before I'm able to slip it into 1st. When the car is cold, it's also difficult to even put it into 3rd or 4th. I read something about this on roadfly, but my problem seems to be more extreme. My friend with an E36 M3 says he's never had the problem. This isn't normal for E46s is it?

Also, if I come to a stop (with the tranny in neutral and my foot off the clutch) and I then push in the clutch to put the car in gear, I hear a soft clunking noise from the rear of the vehicle. Is this normal?

·
Registered
776 Posts
When your car is really cold changing gear can go more difficult..

But the things you're describing aren't normal.. I've never had that with my car..

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,705 Posts
make sure u are depressing the clutch completely. THe clutch is much harder as compared to hondas (i have a stick civic as well). If you find that ur pressing the clutch all the way in and the shifter is still extremely tough to put into gear. perhaps you should have someone check it out.

(if the car was modded before, perhaps the user had a short shift kit. but in the process of uninstalling it, they might have missed something... maybe)

and lastly, WELCOME!

·
Registered
174 Posts
That doesn't sound normal to me. My car is still new, but I don't think you should have to go through all that even if cold.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,755 Posts
The clunk is normal. Its just the sound of the trans taking up driveline lash as the gear is engaged.

A little shifting difficulty when cold is normal with an E46. I suggest changing the trans fluid to the proper Redline fluid, D4 ATF I think. If that does not help, bleed the clutch. BMWs use a hydraulic system to actuate the clutch, not a cable like most other cars. A little air in the system can make it difficult to engage gears because the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Ed

·
Owner
4,061 Posts
kyle5574 said:
My first post here! :D

I purchased a '99 328i a few weeks ago to replace my totalled '00 Prelude. I love the car, but I have a couple problems with the transmission (manual of course).

It's very difficult to get it into 1st gear when the car is stopped. I normally have to put it into 3rd or 4th before I'm able to slip it into 1st. When the car is cold, it's also difficult to even put it into 3rd or 4th. I read something about this on roadfly, but my problem seems to be more extreme. My friend with an E36 M3 says he's never had the problem. This isn't normal for E46s is it?

Also, if I come to a stop (with the tranny in neutral and my foot off the clutch) and I then push in the clutch to put the car in gear, I hear a soft clunking noise from the rear of the vehicle. Is this normal?
That happens to me from time to time. I'll be at a red light, and when it's time to go, it won't shift into first until I either force it or put it into another gear first. It only happens maybe once every couple months, so it's a rare occurrence. But when it does happen, it's kinda annoying :banghead:

·
The De46vil's Army
20,221 Posts
I have problems with 3rd... it just won't go in sometimes, so i goto 4 then to 3 with the clutch in the whole time, and it works. problem not all the time, just every so often

·
Registered
388 Posts
Change the tranny fluid to redline synthetic ... tms sells it i think. it will help a lot....
When I have this problem, I put it in 2nd then slide it into 1st. works every time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the problem were intermittent, I wouldn't worry about it, but it has been happening just about every single time I try to shift from a stop. I bet the previous owner bent a shift fork or something. Of course it didn't happen during either of my test drives :rolleyes:

I hope trying to get this fixed under my CPO warranty isn't as hard as trying to get my lude's tranny looked at under the Honda factory warranty was (i.e. :banghead: ).

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Re: Re: Difficulty Shifting Manual Tranny

Choson1 said:

That happens to me from time to time. I'll be at a red light, and when it's time to go, it won't shift into first until I either force it or put it into another gear first. It only happens maybe once every couple months, so it's a rare occurrence. But when it does happen, it's kinda annoying :banghead:
Same here, exactly as you describe. Only once in a while but it's usually when you are sitting at a red light and you try and put it in first....REALLY aggravating. I mght try the fluid change. I wonder if replacing the entire mechanism with a SSk might help??

(I'm trying to justify the purchase as a "repair" not a mod :D )

·
Owner
4,061 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Difficulty Shifting Manual Tranny

Jano said:
I wonder if replacing the entire mechanism with a SSk might help??
)
I would be inclined to think that a SSK would make the problem worse, cuz it's supposed to be harder to shift with a SSK. Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my car. I took it to the dealership and it turned out the be the Release Bearing. The description on my invoice said that it had rusted and needed to be changed. It was covered under warranty. The whole transmission had to be removed too, I would suggest that you guys bring your cars to the dealership to have them look at it. I thought it was the cold too. I had to leave my car with them overnight in the cold so they could see first hand what I was talking about. Good Luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ed328ci said:
The chunking noise in the rear is normal, but the inablity to get into 1st isn't. Perhaps there is a problem with the syncos?
When the car is moving, I never have any problems putting it into first gear (very much UNLIKE the Prelude), so I'm hesitant to blame the synchros (though I admit I don't know much about trannsmissions).

Ed328ci said:
What do you think of the BMW tranny verse the Prelude's? I came from a Prelude as well, and think the Prelude has a better shifting action.
:eeps: No flames, please...I do like my new 328i, but I enjoyed driving the Prelude a lot more. The shifter was like butter, the clutch and brakes had a lot more feel to them, and the throttle was much more precise*. I guess I'm used to driving a more sporty car. Though, I sure do like having RWD and some *gasp* torque...and BMWs I6s sure are smooth. I think, though I'll probably never have one again, I'll always love Preludes. I'm glad to see another luder on here :thumbup:

*About my Bimmer's lack of throttle response, from what I've read on this board and others, it sounds like the Dinan software will increase the throttle response, right? How much would that cost me?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
als00328ci said:
I had the exact same problem with my car. I took it to the dealership and it turned out the be the Release Bearing...
Thanks! I'll mention that to them when I take it in next week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've owned 2 Preludes and much as I loved them, the Bimmer is head and shoulders better. It did take me awhile to get used to the clutch in the BMW but the gearbox is much better than the Honda. That said, had Honda continued to make the Prelude I would have never bought the Bimmer. Looked at the RSX but thought it looked plain. I still think there is something wrong with your gearbox...every BMW I've driven the gearbox is like butter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts