E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between sway bars and strut bars?

I know there designs are totally different but what is the difference between the 2.

The both help your car with handleing but the difference is...

·
Owner
3,732 Posts
Sway bars are also known as anti-roll bars. They are used to reduce body roll during a turn. The thicker they are, the less body roll you will experience. However, they also play a role in determining how much your car understeers/oversteers, so when choosing a sway bar, you should see the thickness of both the front and rear sways and determine which setup would be ideal for your taste.

Strut bars are structural braces that are attached to the tops of your struts. They are used to provide additional rigidity and to lessen chassis flex and thus improve handling in the turns.

·
name's PHIL
5,887 Posts
i'd say do sways before strut bars........u'll defintely feel more difference with sways............strut probably just a minor and by minor i mean it.......strut bars more of a eye candy

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
A strut tower brace stops unwanted chassis/body flex which causes camber changes under heavy cornering loads. They won't effect your cars ride quality under normal driving conditions.

Sway bars (actually anti-sway bars) keep your car flatter during cornering by reducing body roll. Reduced body roll keeps the weight of the vehicle vertically over the tires preventing drift and understeer. They can effect the ride quality of your car under normal driving conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.