BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 330i with sport package. i was under the impression that the major upgrades of the sport package had to do with the shocks and springs.

that being said, I am a bit confused as to why the drop is significantly less when one replaces both the shocks and springs on a sport model than when one performs similar upgrades on the non-sport setup....what else is there in the sport setup that causes the ride height to remain higher up?

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
For post 4/01 build 330's the "sport package" became divorced from the "sport suspension". All the 330's and the 325 coupes came with the sport suspension by default. The "sport package" then consisted of things like the seat, steering wheel, wheels, etc. but there was no change to the suspension bits.

The only exception was the ZHP cars, which used stiffer shocks, but the exact same springs and sway bars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well then let me specify that i am specifically talking about the sport suspension, and as i have a sedan with the tighter setup it was definitely included in that upgrade. but what are the differences? i see online at places like tirerack, etc that they mention the drop to be different depending on the model you have...even H&R says so on their own site.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
well then let me specify that i am specifically talking about the sport suspension, and as i have a sedan with the tighter setup it was definitely included in that upgrade. but what are the differences? i see online at places like tirerack, etc that they mention the drop to be different depending on the model you have...even H&R says so on their own site.
Only on their USA site - once you go to the international version and look at the actual part numbers you'll find that they make no such distinction.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the sport suspension is lower than the regular stock suspension. The drop w/ new springs is less on the sport set-up vs. a non-sport because the "final" drop height will be the same......it will take less drop to get them the the proper/same height.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the sport suspension is lower than the regular stock suspension. The drop w/ new springs is less on the sport set-up vs. a non-sport because the "final" drop height will be the same......it will take less drop to get them the the proper/same height.
It all depends upon which version of the E46 you are discussing
* On the 323i's and 328i's, and the pre 4/01 build 330i's the "sport package" did include a suspension change which among other things put the car about 15mm lower.
* All the coupe versions came with "sport suspension" standard, regardless of whether or not you ordered the "sport package"
* Likewise, the 4/01 and later build 330i's came with "sport suspension" standard, regardless of whether or not you ordered the "sport package"
* The ZHP package, changed the shocks, but not the springs, and hence has the same ride height
* Which pretty much leaves only the 325i's as possibly having a "non-sport" suspension with a different ride height.
* Xi's and M3's are of course their own animals
* Also, all of the above really only holds for the BMWNA market - other regions had a much wider selection of models, engine types, and other options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts