E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Leatherette here :hi:

leather tends to crack and dry out like your skin. basically it requires more care whereas leatherette doesn't.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
AVRed1 said:
I heard the vinyl actually wears better. But I just dont know anyone who has it to confirm.
Vinyl shows less wear over time, but leather is more appropriate for a $35K car. I have montana leather trim & after about 53K miles, it still looks respectible. I just conditioned my seats this weekend & it looks better than it did before. Leather just needs more attention than "pleather" .

4,229 Posts
It's simple... Leather is the main singer, and the Leatherettes are the backup singers. :)

Mikey-Fresh said:
Vinyl shows less wear over time, but leather is more appropriate for a $35K car.

In Europe, $100K Mercedes come with "MB-Tex", Mercedes' own version of vinyl... and cloth is considered the more luxurious chioce. In Japan, the concept of putting the skin of a dead animal on your seats is considered disgusting and barbaric. In the USA, we spend extra for it, complain about it in the heat when it burns our legs, spend a lot of money and time treating it, and then get upset when it cracks anyway. Go figure.

A $70K BMW (in 1988 dollars!) with cloth:

In the USA, the guy who spent $50K for his E46 M3 with cloth interior might also disagree with you...

- Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts