E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2002 330Ci
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the difference between the two of these are? Accidently ordered the standard ones without knowing my car had sport suspension and wondering if its worth it to send these back to get the sports. As it stands now, the ones I have are long af and are a bitch to get in, curious if it would be the same thing with the sports

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,694 Posts
Well not apples to apples.

The Bili B4 is a replacement original type of shock. IMO just ever slightly stiffer than the factory.
The Bili B6 is a big step up and does not emulate the factory "sport" shock.

Bili does not offer a shock that is a direct replacement for the Sachs (OEM) "factory sport" shock.
Years ago Boge (also a OEM) sold "turbo" shocks that were just like a factory "sport" shock. Now NLA. :(

·
Registered
2002 330Ci
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I could be wrong. Last 7 of your VIN please...

·
Registered
2002 330Ci
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JU26791

A bunch of threads I read says the sport versions have lower spring compression which is preferred if you already have sport springs

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
411 Posts
As per Amazon's description, the difference is that standard is .25 " taller than the other one. I ordered the standard ones by mistake and put them in when I saw they were essentially the same size.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Welp, looks like I'm wrong. Wont be the last time either.

Bili # 22-139948 Right and # 22-139931 IS the bili replacement for the "sports" shock settings!

·
Registered
2002 330Ci
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As per Amazon's description, the difference is that standard is .25 " taller than the other one. I ordered the standard ones by mistake and put them in when I saw they were essentially the same size.
Do you think thats the only difference then? How did your install go with a longer strut and did your ride height increase?

Welp, looks like I'm wrong. Wont be the last time either.

Bili # 22-139948 Right and # 22-139931 IS the bili replacement for the "sports" shock settings!
All good, from what I've heard they didnt come out with the sport ones until later on

Everything I've read about these makes me just want to get the sachs

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
411 Posts
Do you think thats the only difference then? How did your install go with a longer strut and did your ride height increase?
I do think that the height is the only difference. After the replacement the ride and handling were better but that was the point of the replacement. It's hard to compare to original because the original struts were Sachs. So what I really compared (and this goes for most of these type of comparisons) is a 18 year old/ 100k mile Sachs strut to a new 0 mile Bilstein strut. My car sits about .5 inches taller. At the time I figured that the new strut was new and the old was was old and worn and that was why. These sport and standard suspensions are interchangeable on these cars that's why there is so much confusion and the websites show both struts. I think it really comes down to aesthetics.

·
Registered
2002 330Ci
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do think that the height is the only difference. After the replacement the ride and handling were better but that was the point of the replacement. It's hard to compare to original because the original struts were Sachs. So what I really compared (and this goes for most of these type of comparisons) is a 18 year old/ 100k mile Sachs strut to a new 0 mile Bilstein strut. My car sits about .5 inches taller. At the time I figured that the new strut was new and the old was was old and worn and that was why. These sport and standard suspensions are interchangeable on these cars that's why there is so much confusion and the websites show both struts. I think it really comes down to aesthetics.
I see. It's true that its hard to compare, just from what I've heard if you go with new Sachs a lot of the differences go away as a lot of people that throw B4's on after their OEM ones go kaput complain about a drastic increase in ride height (like way more than there should be) as well as the few unfortunate souls that have trouble getting the new longer strut to fit into the knuckle. I think a big difference between the sport and standard struts is the amount of dampening and rebound should be higher with the sports and I dont think just measuring the difference in length can really show that.

I could be completely wrong but in any case I went ahead and ordered the sport ones since FCP said they would pay for return shipping on the other ones. Might make a thread with pictures if theres any significant difference in appearance

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I did B4s on my sport package 330i - no issues and at the time it was considered a striaght, and correct, swap for the sport struts/shocks.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
746 Posts
What's interesting is that, whilst Bilstein list different SKUs for the struts to go with standard suspension from the struts to go with sports suspension, they only list one for the rear dampers and that's for both standard and sports. So either matching them to spring length matters or it doesn't 😃

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I did B4's on my 323i years back and the ride with the standard springs was great. A touch on the firm side which is how I like my BMW's. I'll be doing the same setup with my 325xi.

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
411 Posts
they only list one for the rear dampers and that's for both standard and sports. So either matching them to spring length matters or it doesn't 😃
True. There is no sport or standard for the rear, it's the same. The only difference between the sport and standard suspension is that the front sport spring is 6/10 " shorter a than standard which lowers the car by that amount.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
746 Posts
True. There is no sport or standard for the rear, it's the same. The only difference between the sport and standard suspension is that the front sport spring is 6/10 " shorter a than standard which lowers the car by that amount.
The rear sport springs are shorter too, lest anyone misreads that. The rear ride height on sports springs is 16mm* lower than on standard springs.

(*BMW's figures. The Germans don't really do inches but I make that about 6/10ths of one of those too)

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
411 Posts
The rear sport springs are shorter too, lest anyone misreads that. The rear ride height on sports springs is 16mm* lower than on standard springs.
Good to know. I could only find one part # for the rear springs for my coupe. So it is the same as the front. I guess the difference in suspensions is that the springs are 16 mm different and the struts are 6 mm different.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
746 Posts
Good to know. I could only find one part # for the rear springs for my coupe. So it is the same as the front. I guess the difference in suspensions is that the springs are 16 mm different and the struts are 6 mm different.
Coupes have the same springs - and ride height - regardless of whether they have sports or standard suspension. That goes for front and rear. It's the sedans and Tourings that have longer springs and a greater ride height (both axles) when they don't have sports suspension.

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
411 Posts
Coupes have the same springs - and ride height - regardless of whether they have sports or standard suspension. That goes for front and rear.
Interesting. So are you saying the coupe's sport suspension springs are the same height as the standard springs? If so what are the differences in springs? I assume the spring is what determines the ride height.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
746 Posts
Interesting. So are you saying the coupe's sport suspension springs are the same height as the standard springs? If so what are the differences in springs? I assume the spring is what determines the ride height.
The coupe got the same springs - sports springs - regardless of whether it had sports suspension or not.

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
411 Posts
Coupes have the same springs - and ride height - regardless of whether they have sports or standard suspension. That goes for front and rear.
The coupe got the same springs - sports springs - regardless of whether it had sports suspension or not.
So what is different between a sport and standard suspension other than the springs and struts?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts