BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to just switch whatever is different to make my 323 a 328. is it just the head? i know getting a 330 engine is alot of work, but it seems like i could just make my engine a 2.8 Liter?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I highly doubt the head has much to do with it. The crankshaft determines the stroke, which can also increase displacement. The crank on the 323 and 328 is different for sure. Do some searching on the forum, I believe this question has come up before.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea on cost of 328 bottom end

is it worth doing.. the thing is, i want to add a few boltons, shark injector, injen intake, and know they are same for both engines.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cant convert to 330....

since there is a difference in the throttle. clem told me about this. totally expensive. thats why im thinking 323/328 is the same thus should be fairly inexpensive. seems like a cheap way to add 27 hp huh? plus, my boltons=220 or so. i cannot believe nobody has done this or can answer my question:banghead:

·
Banned
2,277 Posts
This has been discussed a lot, but here's the deal:

All E46 engines share the same bore (cylinder size), just the crank stroke is different, hence you can use the 330 bottom end in a 323 block, and have a 3.0L motor. Or you could have a custom bottomend made (much stronger than the 330), and stroke the motor to 3.1L (without overboring).

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,257 Posts
the key is not replacing the bottom end, but the new engine management system you will need to use. That's where the $$$ is... right Samir?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ballpark $$$

i want to do this, but what would the cost be. if all is different is crank, why is their the 323/328 vs. 325/330 thing. i heard adding 330 would be tough since the throttle is different...?...clem...?...anyhow, 328 seems alot easier and samir can you tell me what a 328 crank would run...i imagine its crankshaft rods and pistons? what ecu work needs to be done?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ATTN B

the engine management software you are referring to is if i go w/ 330 right? that is why i think if i just do 328, it will avoid this cost.
correct me if im wrong...thanks for the advice guys,, there is hope for my 323!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so all i have to do

is pull out engine, throw in a 328 crank w/rods/pistons, and drop back in and im good? and amir, what exactly does a longblock consist of? im hoping bottom end is fairly inexpensive since ive seen whole engine going for 2k.. thanks everyone, i have now been setting high hopes for my car. 328 crank w/ s/c......300 horses, oh god im like a child before christmas...;) :D ;) :D

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,257 Posts
no... no matter what you have to get new engine management software... whether that means getting a 328 ECU or a stand-alone engine management system I can't say for sure as that's more for Samir to answer... he's THA MAN :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts