E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I feel the need to put out a word of caution from a situation I am currently in.

My E46 has had intermittent difficulties starting. I took it to my local BMW specialty shop, who only works on BMWs, has BMW trained techs, and is the premier BMW service facility in my area. They found that my car was losing fuel pressure. They did leak down tests on the fuel system (including the check valve and injectors), and narrowed it down to a bad fuel pressure regulator. Last summer, in May of 2021, I replaced the fuel filter/regulator with a part from ECS tuning as part of routine maintenance before a long road trip. Since I replaced it, I have only put approximately 7,000 miles on the car.

I authorized the shop to make the necessary repairs, and called ECStuning to see about getting a refund for the part that was shipped on 5/10/2021. I did state that I was not looking for any reimbursment for diagnostic costs or labor costs, or even the cost of the part that the repair shop will be ordering. I am only looking to get refunded for the cost of the defective part that I recieved from ECStuning.

I was told that since the part was 10 days out of warranty (today being 5/20) , since it was a "used wear and tear item", they would be unable to refund any of the cost. I argued my case, and they still adamantly refused. I argued that there is no fuel filter that would be clogged after 7,000 miles of normal driving (mostly highway, I drove from NY to CO and back, and then some local driving), and there is no reason a new fuel pressure regulator should go bad in the same amount of time. They still didn't care and refused to help. They stated that since the part was more than $20 (their cost is $35, my cost was $57), they couldn't do anything to help me out.

If this is the lack of customer service they will show for $35 of their money, how bad will it be when its a part that cost them a large amount of money?

I just figured I would put this out as a word of caution for people since I know a lot of people on this forum use ECStuning to order parts for their BMWs. I'm not losing sleep over a relativly small amount of money, but for me its the principal of the matter

Thank you,
Chris

·
Registered
2001 325i 5mt. 2009 535xi Touring 6mt.
639 Posts
I'm sorry that happened to you, it's weird to see a part like that fail so soon. Nonetheless, they did nothing wrong and I suggest you consider changing the title of your post if possible because everyone fulfilled their end of the contract correctly and it sounds like you now feel like it was a bad contract.

·
Administrator
19,753 Posts
The item was out of warranty so it's fair enough.
^This. They lived up to their end. You’re just salty on the unfortunate timing. You expected them to go extra and they declined.
You are relying on the shop’s word that the FPR is bad. News flash: many shops are routinely dishonest.

What was the brand, Hengst?

In future:
  • Buy from fcpeuro.com
  • Do your own work
  • Don’t expect more than what a vendor commits

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Errrr....I believe the fuel regulator just bleeds off pressure over 50 psi. The non return valve that maintains pressure is in the pump. Your problem sounds like the latter.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
860 Posts
Hello all,

I feel the need to put out a word of caution from a situation I am currently in.

My E46 has had intermittent difficulties starting. I took it to my local BMW specialty shop, who only works on BMWs, has BMW trained techs, and is the premier BMW service facility in my area. They found that my car was losing fuel pressure. They did leak down tests on the fuel system (including the check valve and injectors), and narrowed it down to a bad fuel pressure regulator. Last summer, in May of 2021, I replaced the fuel filter/regulator with a part from ECS tuning as part of routine maintenance before a long road trip. Since I replaced it, I have only put approximately 7,000 miles on the car.

I authorized the shop to make the necessary repairs, and called ECStuning to see about getting a refund for the part that was shipped on 5/10/2021. I did state that I was not looking for any reimbursment for diagnostic costs or labor costs, or even the cost of the part that the repair shop will be ordering. I am only looking to get refunded for the cost of the defective part that I recieved from ECStuning.

I was told that since the part was 10 days out of warranty (today being 5/20) , since it was a "used wear and tear item", they would be unable to refund any of the cost. I argued my case, and they still adamantly refused. I argued that there is no fuel filter that would be clogged after 7,000 miles of normal driving (mostly highway, I drove from NY to CO and back, and then some local driving), and there is no reason a new fuel pressure regulator should go bad in the same amount of time. They still didn't care and refused to help. They stated that since the part was more than $20 (their cost is $35, my cost was $57), they couldn't do anything to help me out.

If this is the lack of customer service they will show for $35 of their money, how bad will it be when its a part that cost them a large amount of money?

I just figured I would put this out as a word of caution for people since I know a lot of people on this forum use ECStuning to order parts for their BMWs. I'm not losing sleep over a relativly small amount of money, but for me its the principal of the matter

Thank you,
Chris
Yeah .bought one item from ecs - a rear wheel bearing removal tool.
Try FCP even with the higher prices its just worth it i you are keeping your car .
Even Autohausaz has 3 year warranty.Eeuroparts even has 2.
Check them out .....

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
2,760 Posts
For real? That's like a 15 minute job to replace that and hardly cost anything even for an oem one.

Even then you could get a defective one. Diagnosing that only takes minutes to do as well with a simple fuel pressure check.

I can say ECS/Turner are not the best to deal with though. But still..... you sound like a cry baby.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I had them send me back the exact same shock that showed up damaged in December.
(I marked it with a pencil, just in case…)
Not something worth starting a thread over.
As you were over the time limit, I do not see the issue.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
972 Posts
If the item is out of warranty, they have no obligation to warranty it. No sense fussing over it. Learn your lessons and move on.

As mentioned above, I would suggest finding a vendor with better warranty and better customer service. There are several good recommendations already.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,978 Posts
sorry for your car troubles.
just so you know almost no company would refund the money if “in side” the warranty period. you’d at most get a replacement part. and a “wear n tear” part that was installed and used for a year and denied warranty is kinda standard. some places offer no or just 90 Days. while Genuine BMW Parts are two full years. all parts bought from FCP are Lifetime.

looking at ECS site for $57.95 you bought a Hengst filter. that brand isn’t bad. so not ECS fault. Kayser is the company BMW used for the filter and was an option you had to buy at $69.95 but you went cheaper and well..

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
sorry for your car troubles.
just so you know almost no company would refund the money if “in side” the warranty period. you’d at most get a replacement part. and a “wear n tear” part that was installed and used for a year and denied warranty is kinda standard. some places offer no or just 90 Days. while Genuine BMW Parts are two full years. all parts bought from FCP are Lifetime.

looking at ECS site for $57.95 you bought a Hengst filter. that brand isn’t bad. so not ECS fault. Kayser is the company BMW used for the filter and was an option you had to buy at $69.95 but you went cheaper and well..
Well, if the filter was the issue with fuel preesure leak down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a trick:
1) Find a needed part using part number.
2) Make sure it's available on major auto retail online store at desirable price.
3) Ask FCP Euro to Price Match it (They do it, as ECS Tuning does it too)
4) Enjoy your nice price and endless warranty (as long as YOU own the car)
5) PROFIT!

Thank me later :)

P.S. I mainly shop on ECS, no issues so far, but I'm aware that some folks had issues before.
FCP doesn’t match anymore unfortunately

·
Registered
2005 330ci
329 Posts
When I was looking on line at FCP, I noticed in their frequentlyasked questions section that they do not match pricing due to the lifetime warranty.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts