E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i decided to do the valve cover gasket, and lets just say, it was HORRABLE!!!!

So the prev owner, or the one before him, put rtv on the aluminum and then the gasket ontop of that, and it dit not pull off with the gasket....i had to manually remove that shit....
It was tedious! And i was so scared for that stuff to fall into the engine, because it might block the oil pickup...but anyway, i removed it using my thumb nail, (now my thumb is sore and pulsing) and i used a plastic scraper.

Heres where it gets intresting.
The aluminum is scraped up on some spits, was it me? I dont think so, plastic and a fimger nail aint gon do that, but anyway, my masive vacuum leak came from cyl 2 gasket grommet, seems like they put the gasket down first and tried to put the cover ontop, that resulted in the gasket/grommet getting pinched.

So they removed it and fixed it right???? No they said ti them selves: "i know what im doing, lets put some rtv in there". So they went and forced rtv thru the gap where the pinched gasket was,,,and that gave out over time, causing my now massive leak.

So i cleaned up as much as possible, i added rtv where it belongs (half moon and those 2 other spots) and then i used a skin thin layer on one spot where the aluminum was so badly scratched that i cloud hook my finger nail in it...i did not put everything back together completely, in the morning im first gona do a vacuum leak test, so that i can pull it off easier if that aluminum leaks where its scratched up, and add some rtv.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Artifact Sculpture Automotive wheel system

Building Gas Auto part Pipe Metal

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part space shuttle Metal

Product Wind instrument Metal Engineering Fashion accessory

Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electrical wiring Auto part Electrical supply

Engineering Auto part Gas Technology Machine

Light Audio equipment Idiophone Auto part Metal

Reptile Wood Snake Scaled reptile Finger

Glove Wood Plumbing fixture Gesture Finger

Heres a "vacuum chamber" i made so i can manually suck out the oil from the sparkpulg holes.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh... Some people shouldn't be allowed to work on cars. Buying used cars can certainly be a mystery.

Sounds like you've addressed everything properly. If you're using a new, high quality gasket you should be alright.
Well we will have to see,
I checked for the Erling gasket but there was no stock, and has to be ordered from idk where, so as this was a pretty bad leak, and the job is not to hard, i just got whatever brand they had, and Monday ill put the erling on order.
Hopefully this one lasts me a few km.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
You can use a razor blade scraper to clean that surface. Then very fine emery cloth to clean it up a little better.

Then some rubbing alcohol to get the contamination off.

The only areas that get a small amount of silicon are those half moon sections and where the vanos butts up to the head.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today i did a smoke test, and the cover was not leaking. So i put the basics back on and went for a drive, cruising nat 120km/h my short term fuel sits at about -1 to -2 on both sides, my long term is still stuck on what it was before the gasket job (-8 to -9) it did chamge a bit but i only drove like 10 mins total.

I came back and did an inspection to look for any oil leaking and found none.
So I closed everything back up and I'm happy with the job for now.

I still need to get the intake pipe and some vacuum Lines to completely button it up.

Once I am hundred percent sure that the engine is vacuum-sealed I will be adding the O2 pilot mod (if its needed)

Hopefully those long-term fuel trims comes back down..
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive design

Registered
OP good job. I'm sure your e46 likes your maintenance service over what was previously done.
When I replaced the valve cover gasket for my 2001 325ci I used some plastic/firm rubber blades. The gasket was pretty hard and didn't want to come off easily. The firm rubber blades saved me from picking at it with a metal pick or screwdriver because I was concerned that I may deeply scratch the aluminum.

Registered
2002 330ci auto
No idea, i thought it lookd normal for a RHD but idk
No they鈥檙e pretty high, higher than my rhd.

Most likely the last person to change the windscreen cowl out put them a bit higher. Not a huge job to put them back down. Just search how to remove the wiper blade, adjust it and tighten the nut again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No they鈥檙e pretty high, higher than my rhd.

Most likely the last person to change the windscreen cowl out put them a bit higher. Not a huge job to put them back down. Just search how to remove the wiper blade, adjust it and tighten the nut again.
Thanks, ill look into it one day, but tbh as long as they work it probably wont bother me馃槄馃槀馃槀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts