E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the rod bearings for the first time. Bigger job than I was expecting but everything went smooth. Until I tried turning the crank and felt resistance. I looked under the engine and saw nothing in the way so tried turning again and same thing. Looked under and noticed one of the number etchings on the wrong side. I pulled the cap and bearings look perfect but the side of the cap was scratched. I took a picture and have it attached. Any concern with this?

I also noticed this gasket that I have no idea where it goes, does anyone recognize it?

Thanks!
Body jewelry Wood Grey Rectangle Silver

Wood Metal Bicycle part Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
190 Posts
oil level sensor gasket

not sure on that bearing cap though..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks yep oil level sensor. For the rods, the scratch may lead to slightly more side to side play?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would just polish out the scratches and reinstall. don't go nuts or you'll affect con rod side clearance.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks yep oil level sensor. For the rods, the scratch may lead to slightly more side to side play?
Only if you over polish them out. Scratches in this case would reduce side play if you just reinstalled them correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks for explaining everything! In the process of putting everything back together. I have my fingers crossed it's okay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there anything to worry about as far as torquing down the cap backwards when they’re fractured caps/rods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Is there anything to worry about as far as torquing down the cap backwards when they’re fractured caps/rods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only if you fractured the cap. There might be some flattening of the plateaus/ridges on the caps and mating surfaces but the cap should line up ok when put back together...you'll know when you try to turn the motor over by hand. Worst case you have to replace that connecting rod....make sure it weighs the same as the old one to the gram.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
9,421 Posts
Those cracked rod caps have uneven height and surfaces at the sides, so if it was wrong side and torqued down to spec then I think the rod is bad now -- rod and cap had been deformed.
This has been a concern of mine since I first read this.
I'd likely be (at home DiY) using old rod bolts and doing plastigauge a few times in different spots to be sure.

Then starting/driving carefully. It should.....start of with a slight noise if something is untoward.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
9,421 Posts
It would be very hard for me to say you're good or there's something wrong with a phone sound clip. Although I didn't hear anything bad, per se.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the advice. I did not plastigauge it just put it back together and started it. Drove around the block and sounds normal. I’m going to take it easy for 1,000 miles then get an oil analysis to make sure it’s good. Attached I have the bearings I took out at 145k and had the service done under TIS

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I did not plastigauge it just put it back together and started it. Drove around the block and sounds normal. I’m going to take it easy for 1,000 miles then get an oil analysis to make sure it’s good. Attached I have the bearings I took out at 145k and had the service done under TIS
Well, you're better off now with new shells than before. Drive on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts