BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
You are misfiring. There are several possible causes.
Bad plug(s)
Bad Coil(s)
Bad cam sensors
Bad crank sensor
Bad injector(s)

This is why you need a scan tool to read the fault codes recorded in teh computer's memory. To tell you which of the above is the problem. If you have one use it. If you haven't got one get one. Borrow of buy. You can get an EML 327 wifi adapter for very little money and a phone app for even less. You can't really expect to figure out these problems by guessing. That relay shouldn't be dropping out repeatedly like that either. Which one is it?

Listen to the fuel pump too. If it sound like it is hunting then it might be your fuel pump relay going bad. That's the green one top left.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are misfiring. There are several possible causes.
Bad plug(s)
Bad Coil(s)
Bad cam sensors
Bad crank sensor
Bad injector(s)

This is why you need a scan tool to read the fault codes recorded in teh computer's memory. To tell you which of the above is the problem. If you have one use it. If you haven't got one get one. Borrow of buy. You can get an EML 327 wifi adapter for very little money and a phone app for even less. You can't really expect to figure out these problems by guessing. That relay shouldn't be dropping out repeatedly like that either. Which one is it?

Listen to the fuel pump too. If it sound like it is hunting then it might be your fuel pump relay going bad. That's the green one top left.
There is no codes.
What a little bit strange is, that when I unplug a sensor like the crankshaft position sensor, and try to start it, it takes longer to start (because of the sensor is unplugged ) but it goes in safe mode, and then it idle right.
So will it idle right if the coils are bad ?

·
Registered
872 Posts
There is no codes.
What a little bit strange is, that when I unplug a sensor like the crankshaft position sensor, and try to start it, it takes longer to start (because of the sensor is unplugged ) but it goes in safe mode, and then it idle right.
So will it idle right if the coils are bad ?
I think you may be a little confused here. The car will not start at all without the crankshaft sensor which you claim to have unplugged. Maybe you should just replace whatever sensor it is that you have unplugged. Probably the intake camshaft sensor. But I still think you should figure out which relay is clacking and replace that. The clacking indicates that the relay is opening and closing rapidly. That is either because the relay coil is failing or the feed that it is receiving is intermittent. All you have to do is touch the relays and you will feel which one it is. My guess is fuel pump relay. Green one top left. That is where you need to start in my opinion because the relay should not be doing that. Find the cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you may be a little confused here. The car will not start at all without the crankshaft sensor which you claim to have unplugged. Maybe you should just replace whatever sensor it is that you have unplugged. Probably the intake camshaft sensor. But I still think you should figure out which relay is clacking and replace that. The clacking indicates that the relay is opening and closing rapidly. That is either because the relay coil is failing or the feed that it is receiving is intermittent. All you have to do is touch the relays and you will feel which one it is. My guess is fuel pump relay. Green one top left. That is where you need to start in my opinion because the relay should not be doing that. Find the cause.
No I’m sure it was the crank sensor(below the starter) I even replaced it twice.
I tried to unplug the cam sensor too, but it didn’t start.
it’s the fuel pump relay, but I replaced that to, same result.

·
Registered
872 Posts
No I’m sure it was the crank sensor(below the starter) I even replaced it twice.
I tried to unplug the cam sensor too, but it didn’t start.
it’s the fuel pump relay, but I replaced that to, same result.
A car will not start with the crankshaft sensor removed or disconnected. I don't think you have the only car in existence that does. Determine which of your relays is clacking and investigate why it is clacking. Either faulty relay or intermittent feed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A car will not start with the crankshaft sensor removed or disconnected. I don't think you have the only car in existence that does. Determine which of your relays is clacking and investigate why it is clacking. Either faulty relay or intermittent feed.
I tried to film it, sorry for the bad quality, and for the bad English

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
872 Posts

Your English is fine. No problem. But that is very unusual that your car starts with the crankshaft position sensor unplugged. It shouldn't. Because the DME doesn't know when to fire the plugs or open the injectors when the sensor is unplugged. But there it is. Your engine starts. Your plugs and injectors must be firing. So what is the DME using to determine when to fire the plugs and open the injectors? can you put your finger on each of those realys and find out which one is clacking? You should be able to feel it. Also remove teh cover from the DME box in the corner of teh engine bay and check in there to see if you have any water present.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your English is fine. No problem. But that is very unusual that your car starts with the crankshaft position sensor unplugged. It shouldn't. Because the DME doesn't know when to fire the plugs or open the injectors when the sensor is unplugged. But there it is. Your engine starts. Your plugs and injectors must be firing. So what is the DME using to determine when to fire the plugs and open the injectors? can you put your finger on each of those realys and find out which one is clacking? You should be able to feel it. Also remove teh cover from the DME box in the corner of teh engine bay and check in there to see if you have any water present.
its the left one, im not sure but i think it is the fuel pump relay, but i treid to repace it.
but what im not understanding is, why is car running better without the sensor.
PS. when i try to open the oil cap it stalls too, or gets very rough at least.
but the ccv is brand new.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Is it possible??? Have you done something before this started where you might have mixed up the cables to the crankshaft sensor and the exhaust camshaft sensor? Just a wild thought.

·
Registered
872 Posts
its the left one, im not sure but i think it is the fuel pump relay, but i treid to repace it.
but what im not understanding is, why is car running better without the sensor.
PS. when i try to open the oil cap it stalls too, or gets very rough at least.
but the ccv is brand new.
Yes. That is the fuel pump relay. You say "tried to replace it". Does that mean you failed to replace it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it possible??? Have you done something before this started where you might have mixed up the cables to the crankshaft sensor and the exhaust camshaft sensor? Just a wild thought.
I dont think so, when it happend the first time, i was just driving like pretty normal, and the Car suddenly lost all of its Power, i pressed the clutch, and then it stalled, and then when i treid to turn it on again it was like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. That is the fuel pump relay. You say "tried to replace it". Does that mean you failed to replace it?
no i did repace it, but it didnt change any thing, and when the Crank sensor is unpluged, the relay wont click any more, so i dont think that, it is because of the relay.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I dont think so, when it happend the first time, i was just driving like pretty normal, and the Car suddenly lost all of its Power, i pressed the clutch, and then it stalled, and then when i treid to turn it on again it was like that.
You could try swapping the one on the left with the green relay on the other side of the orang relay. They are the same.

·
Registered
872 Posts
no i did repace it, but it didnt change any thing, and when the Crank sensor is unpluged, the relay wont click any more, so i dont think that, it is because of the relay.
[/QUOT]
Take a look inside the DME box see if there is anything going on in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
everything looks normal, if it was vacuum leak would it actually start like in my case?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The intake camshaft sensor (pin 5), exhaust camshaft sensor (pin 15) and crankshaft sensor (pin 8)
are close together in the center connection block of the MS43 DME that I believe you car has.
You could check that for water entry at the back of the connector. If you can you should remove the connection block so you
can examine the interface and pins. Be very careful pulling them and putting them back on because if you bend the pins you are going to be in trouble. They are very thin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The intake camshaft sensor (pin 5), exhaust camshaft sensor (pin 15) and crankshaft sensor (pin 8)
are close together in the center connection block of the MS43 DME that I believe you car has.
You could check that for water entry at the back of the connector. If you can you should remove the connection block so you
can examine the interface and pins. Be very careful pulling them and putting them back on because if you bend the pins you are going to be in trouble. They are very thin.
btw i know it will get more complicated but, my car has only one cam sensore for both intake and exhaust

1 - 20 of 51 Posts