BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone already have one installed?
What are they like and how well do they work?

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,540 Posts
Super expensive, but work very well. A lot of guys on here have them. Personally, I didn't want to pay for one, so I paid $40 for the OEM BMW Aux Input.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone already have one installed?
What are they like and how well do they work?
I had one, but I didnt like the layout or format rather of it, so I switched back to my Ice Link>Plus

·
Registered
612 Posts
awful stay away
Are we talking about the same thing?

I had mine and it worked amazing for 3 months before it started to develop a weird alternator whine. Bought a ground loop isolator for it and it was amazing again.

Total spent was 160 and change, but the enjoyment I get from it is priceless. I sit in my friends car and laugh when their FM transmitters stop working next to power lines or when they have to look down at their iPOD to change songs.

With the DICE, you've got the music at your fingertips (literally with steering controls) and crystal clear sound.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've got 2, 1 in the ZHP and 1 in the xi. Both work flawlessly.
If I could only have 1 mod, the DICE Ipod kit would be it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'm upgrading mine from the old iceLink plus - can't wait to get it installed - looks to be a HUGE improvement.

Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have the DICE and it works great for me...wuts an ICE link plus?? wuts the difference between that and the DICE?

If ur looking for more info on the DICE do a search theres a thread of info somewhere in here.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Are we talking about the same thing?

I had mine and it worked amazing for 3 months before it started to develop a weird alternator whine. Bought a ground loop isolator for it and it was amazing again.

Total spent was 160 and change, but the enjoyment I get from it is priceless. I sit in my friends car and laugh when their FM transmitters stop working next to power lines or when they have to look down at their iPOD to change songs.

With the DICE, you've got the music at your fingertips (literally with steering controls) and crystal clear sound.

Mine whines like crazy.

Can you explain to me what you did to fix it?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I must confess I'm baffled by the "awful" commentary above. Not sure if everyone's talking about the same thing. And the "whine" is also mystifying, not sure what part of it would make a noise. It's a small plastic box filled with some circuitry, no moving parts. In any event, I've had the unit in my car for the better part of a year now. Cost me about $150 and was an easy, seamless install. Song titles show up on the RDS of the Business CD, works great. For more info, check out the link below and the guys at BSW were great.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/514/0/BMW-iPod-Kit-E46-by-DICE/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had mine for a week. Love it. The steering wheel controls are fantastic. I had an aux input on my Civic and the DICE is significantly better in the interface than just using the iPod.

·
Registered
991 Posts
DICE thread

<<< Also see pics of armrest install in My Garage.

I've been extremely happy with mine. No brainer install, easy control via steering wheel or head unit. Very cool.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't believe what i am hearing. Sonny the DICE is amazing. The installation is easy and the sounds is superior, you will not listen to cds or radio again.
before installation turn the ipod volume to full. The sound will seem as if you upgraded your speakers, get it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Question:
If I want to run the Ipod wire to the center console, do I need to buy a longer wire?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mine whines like crazy.

Can you explain to me what you did to fix it?
buy a ground loop isolator from Tom at EAS (free plug) or go to Radioshack and get a 12V ground look isolator. The thing just splices into the power wire of the dice unit in the trunk (it's the wire with a fuse).

Took care of ALL the noise

Tom's a pretty good guy, give him a PM or email if you wanna know more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all, it looks like I will be going for the DICE.
Is it easy enough for a DIY install?
How easy is it to connect to the rear of the head unit?
Does the head unit need to be emoved?
Is this the only connection required and will this then allow it to work from the steering wheel?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts