BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Interesting.. what are we looking at here? Is this that black plug that goes into the factory amp? I took a look at that thing this weekend & there are a bizillion wire terminals on that plug.. and they are so tiny.. they are slits opposed to round pins...

Can I just match this diagram up to that black plug?

Also, how come there is only one black plug? Shouldnt there be 2? One for input and one for output?

·
modder fokker
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found this posting : maybe of use to someone
E46 3 Series

E46 Basic Stereo Amp Diagram
Subject: E46 Wiring Diagram
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001

Snip... I managed to get a hold of the wiring diagram for the e46 basic car
stereo amp (the audiovox system). Myself and others hunted forever on the
internet until we managed to find someone at BMW who would give it to us
Snip...
It was spanned out onto multiple pages from BMW so I
went ahead and combined it into one image. I also labeled a lot of things
(speakers, colors, etc). I am about 99.9% sure these are correct. I
couldn't find anything that had exactly what wire was what on it other
than the retarded labels that were on the diagram. I managed to figure it
out based on color codes for other BMW stereos.

Ben

·
Registered
452 Posts
Great sketch Pmmeke!:thumbup: :thumbup: I compared it to my Bently Manual and sketches I did for my install and there are a couple of corrections, at least for my car (99 323i sedan non HK).
You have the rear tweets and woofer labels swapped.............left rear woofer is fed from amp pins# 1 & 2, right rear woofer pins# 24 & 25, Left rear tweeter/mid pins# 31 & 32, and right rear tweet/mid pins# 13 & 21. :tongue:

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
according to the diagram above, It looks like I will need a 6 channel amp right? (considering that I do not connect any of 2" door speakers) I would have 2 front tweeters, 2 front midbass, 2 rear deck midbass = 6 speakers total.

do I run the tweeters with the front speakers somehow, like in parallel, or do I only amplify the front & rear w/o the 2" & tweeters?

My amp is only a 4 channel, I dont want to buy a 6 channel.

·
Registered
409 Posts
that would be an extremely helpful addition to this diagram.

what great timing - i am planning on cutting everything tomorrow and starting on the adventure of adding my 2 amps to the system, one to power front 4 coaxial channels and one to power a back sub - anyone see this as anything difficult (after this diagram and its corrections)..?

thanks guys, this is awesome..

·
Registered
452 Posts
HaN-hAn said:
hey rome, how about scanning and posting that bently manual diagram? =)
Well, the sketch you see here is from the Bently Manual. And like Pmmeke says, it is a compilation of about 6 diagrams so it was quite a bit of work to post this..........good job Pmmeke! This is correct except for the pins I pointed out earlier. I will add a couple of comments..............
The pins surrounding the "amp block" are for the connector that actually connects to the stock amp. This connector really has two plugs built into it but it comes out as one piece. The color coding for the wires is the following:
BL = blue
BR = brown
GE = yellow
GN = green
GR = grey
RT = red
OR = orange
SW = black
WS = white
VI = violet

·
Registered
452 Posts
Delirium said:
according to the diagram above, It looks like I will need a 6 channel amp right? (considering that I do not connect any of 2" door speakers) I would have 2 front tweeters, 2 front midbass, 2 rear deck midbass = 6 speakers total.

do I run the tweeters with the front speakers somehow, like in parallel, or do I only amplify the front & rear w/o the 2" & tweeters?

My amp is only a 4 channel, I dont want to buy a 6 channel.
I need to know more about what you are planning to do (only change out amp, or radio too, or sub, etc). PM me with what you are planning and I will try and help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts