BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, What do you guys think?
Its with Skip The Dishes, similar to GrubHub or DoorDash....
The pay is usually minimum of 15 per hour each shift so far with delivery fees and tips. Plus bonuses the pay is decent...
BUT.... I'm in an 05 325I, I get about 18-20 MPG in the city, thats not to bad right? for delivery?
I have a little devil and angel fighting in my head screaming yes and no haha!
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So, What do you guys think?
Its with Skip The Dishes, similar to GrubHub or DoorDash....
The pay is usually minimum of 15 per hour each shift so far with delivery fees and tips. Plus bonuses the pay is decent...
BUT.... I'm in an 05 325I, I get about 18-20 MPG in the city, thats not to bad right? for delivery?
I have a little devil and angel fighting in my head screaming yes and no haha!
What do you guys think?
18-20 mpg city in a 325 sounds poor. When was the last time plugs, fuel filter, and fuel injection cleaner was done?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
18-20 mpg city in a 325 sounds poor. When was the last time plugs, fuel filter, and fuel injection cleaner was done?
Changes plugs to the OEM NGKs, like 2 months ago, not long.
Fuel filter hasn't been done for a while, looking into replacing it might help? Whats the usual for a 325I?
I put in a Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner just recently.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
18-20 MPG in the City is considered good. Seems that people do not understand while the car is stopped in traffic or at traffic lights the car will get EXACTLY 0 MPG, average this into any mileage you get while moving and it will KILL the overall economy per tank of fuel.

My 330cic gets about 16-17 MPG in the city. This is true City driving, average MPH per tank was around 17 MPH!! For anyone that complains about fuel economy, what I need to know is the Average MPH not MPG for each tank of fuel. If the Average MPH is not at least 30 per tank, do not have any expectations for fuel economy that is much better than 20 MPG.

The reason these cars get decent highway fuel economy is Decel with Fuel Cut Off, which means when coasting the DME cuts off the fuel supply for short period.
There is very little Decel with Fuel Cut Off in the City and average in 0 MPG while stopped and idling, there is no free lunch.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I keep track of my all my fill ups and I consistently average 21mpg. I guess I do mostly city type driving but it's not horrible stop and go type city driving. Most of my driving is probably around 40mph, I understand my actual average mph is most likely much lower because of stop lights and whatnot but most of the time my car is actually moving it's around 40mph. Also my car is an xi so I'd assume that effects mileage too. I don't think 21mpg is that bad though

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Do the math.

Divide the price of a gallon of gas by the mileage you get. If the result is less than the allowance, then it works. If more than the allowance, then it doesn't work. Let's say gas costs are $2.85, and you get 17 mpg. Divide 285 by 17, the result is 16.765. This means your cost is just over 16.5 cents per mile. If they are giving you $0.25, then you make 9 cents.

Do the math.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
...but don't forget to add in oil changes and what you spend on maintenance. E46s are a bit higher than average for maintenance.

t

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Do the math.

Divide the price of a gallon of gas by the mileage you get. If the result is less than the allowance, then it works. If more than the allowance, then it doesn't work. Let's say gas costs are $2.85, and you get 17 mpg. Divide 285 by 17, the result is 16.765. This means your cost is just over 16.5 cents per mile. If they are giving you $0.25, then you make 9 cents.

Do the math.
He needs to add in maintenance cost per mile which can be $0.10 to $0.20 on the E46.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Or you drive like a grandma. Real stop and go ruins any vehicle's mileage.
Anyone that gets over 18-20 MPG in the "City" is not doing "City" driving. To make a blanket statement that you get XX.X MPG in the City cannot be done without qualifying the statement. The best qualifier is providing MPG and MPH per tank and you can then understand what the term "City" really means. I would expect most people have Suburban/Urban MPG and not City MPG!

Chances are their Average MPH per tank of fuel is closer to 25 MPH or higher if the fuel economy is over 20 MPG and in this case, this is NOT City driving, this is Suburban/Urban driving.

The ONLY case when mileage can be compared is when traveling at 55 MPH or above for extended lengths of time and even then it is hard to compare fuel economy between 2 cars unless they are on the same road and in the same traffic conditions. Comparing fuel economy on one coast vs another coast is subjective at best. Far too many variables.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
agreed. For my city scenario for example - hilly terrain with stop signs every 20 yards. 25 mph limit which you never even realistically reach unless you are gunning it between blocks. Sometimes would have to wait without moving for 5+ minutes if traveling through campus during the breaks between classes where thousands of students were crossing perpetually.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Or you drive like a grandma. Real stop and go ruins any vehicle's mileage.
I'm a hyper-miler. No point in racing to a stop light when you can coast there. When I traded in my 1996 Lincoln Town Car for the 2004 I have now, the 90 mile drive to the dealer was mostly highway. I snapped a picture of the MPG readout as I parked it. If you drive a car like it has a gallon of gas only, you'd be surprised at the difference in MPG from racing stop light to stop light. Just sayin'.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
I'm a hyper-miler. No point in racing to a stop light when you can coast there. When I traded in my 1996 Lincoln Town Car for the 2004 I have now, the 90 mile drive to the dealer was mostly highway. I snapped a picture of the MPG readout as I parked it. If you drive a car like it has a gallon of gas only, you'd be surprised at the difference in MPG from racing stop light to stop light. Just sayin'.
Rofl Lincoln town car. Yep you drive like a grandma in a grandma's car.

So you're the guy making the 100 yard gaps in traffic so less people make it through any one light. Thanks bud.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Rofl Lincoln town car. Yep you drive like a grandma in a grandma's car. So you're the guy making the 100 yard gaps in traffic so less people make it through any one light. Thanks bud.
And you must be the tailgating jerk-off that's had several accidents before age 25 that drives up the cost of insurance for the rest of us.

Go eat a dog turd butthead.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
And you must be the tailgating jerk-off that's had several accidents before age 25 that drives up the cost of insurance for the rest of us.

Go eat a dog turd butthead.
Well aren't we a pleasant person. No need to make personal attacks and call people names.

While you are talking about about being a hyper miler in one breath driving 90 miles mostly highway and likely resetting the trip computer while cruising. This is totally unrealistic because this is not an average MPG per fuel tank and it is not an average of 10 tanks of fuel.

You also claim that you get a solid 23 MPG in the City which is BS. You are not doing City driving, I can guarantee you this. Its not going to happen when you are doing TRUE City driving were you cannot even break a 20 MPH average per tankful. Unless you are turning the engine off at every situation where you are not moving and even then you may gain a 15% overall advantage.

I see Hyper Miler's and I move right past these guys. I have places to go. I get 23-24 MPG in my E70 X5 with a 4.8l. This is running on the highway. I make an 1100 Mile straight through drive AVERAGING 73-74 MPH for the entire 1100 miles. If I was to slow down, I would gain probably 3 MPG better average fuel economy, but I am not interested in taking a 14 hour trip and turning into an 18 hour trip and I might save close to $20 if I slow down. Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
...driving 90 miles mostly highway and likely resetting the trip computer while cruising. This is totally unrealistic because this is not an average MPG per fuel tank and it is not an average of 10 tanks of fuel.
One should never assume facts not in evidence or presented.

If you bring up the readings on either of my cars, you will find the numbers to be averages for the last year at least. I think the Lincoln starts over after 1000 miles but honestly, I don't really know. I also have no idea when the BMW decides to start over either.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts