BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car last fall, have done a lot of freshening up and it drives very nicely. One thing still bugs the crap out of me though. It’s a manual and every time I start from a stop I’m basically WOT until I reach my chosen speed. Every shift into 3rd produces a slight delay in power delivery, just feels like bad throttle response or lag.

My guess is that due to emissions control, the engine wont dump fuel at a rate that my foot can slam the pedal to the floor. I bring this up because my diesel pickup does this, reduced fuel supply when I mash the pedal, its in the owners manual so I know its there.

This drives me nuts because I just cant row through the gears as precisely as I can on my older car. Unless I really granny it, my shifting is much more rough, shaking the car, and not very sporty at all.

No SES codes, fresh fuel lines/pump/filter, fresh intake boots/PCV, considering new plug coils, fresh plugs, fresh trans mounts and no clutch issues.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
What are you using to read codes with? My car gets grumpy about the exhaust cam sensor occasionally,
and then there's that really annoying lag you describe- I tip throttle in, and power comes on about a half- second late.
There's never a SES light, and often, the code is listed as 'shadow' or 'pending' even if I read it as soon as
I feel the car doing it.

It's not a design feature, it's a problem, and it can be fixed. On mine, replacing the sensor fixed it for a while,
and now it does it occasionally with just about any exhaust cam sensor.

The code is usually 'exhaust cam postion implausible' via PASoft, and my current theory is that the VANOS reseal I've
been putting off for years is way overdue. I just haven't gotten to it.

Oddly, it's not a big issue UNLESS I'm driving the car moderately to very hard.

t

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my car last fall, have done a lot of freshening up and it drives very nicely. One thing still bugs the crap out of me though. It’s a manual and every time I start from a stop I’m basically WOT until I reach my chosen speed. Every shift into 3rd produces a slight delay in power delivery, just feels like bad throttle response or lag.

My guess is that due to emissions control, the engine wont dump fuel at a rate that my foot can slam the pedal to the floor. I bring this up because my diesel pickup does this, reduced fuel supply when I mash the pedal, its in the owners manual so I know its there.

This drives me nuts because I just cant row through the gears as precisely as I can on my older car. Unless I really granny it, my shifting is much more rough, shaking the car, and not very sporty at all.

No SES codes, fresh fuel lines/pump/filter, fresh intake boots/PCV, considering new plug coils, fresh plugs, fresh trans mounts and no clutch issues.
You could go onto the Ms43 wiki and read up on how to tune the throttle map yourself to your liking, there is programming in the tune to delay and soften the throttle body opening which makes the throttle pedal 'feel mushy' is the best way i could describe it!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,533 Posts
Been some time since I've checked and I don't know what model/year/flavor you own.
Does your car have the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) installed? If it does, read up on CDV delete.

Dammed thing makes people feel stupid, like they forgot how to row gears anymore.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been some time since I've checked and I don't know what model/year/flavor you own.
Does your car have the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) installed? If it does, read up on CDV delete.

Dammed thing makes people feel stupid, like they forgot how to row gears anymore.

This sounds promising because that’s exactly what it feels like, slow clutch engagement. Thank you

I have a 2003 325i. I looked at the realoem clutch parts list, didnt see anything like that but will keep looking.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,617 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, I put my car up in the air to tackle this CDV delete. My clutch line looks like it just has a quick disconnect going into the hose and it doesnt look like there is anything that I can remove to get rid of the restriction.

Am I missing something here? Thank you for the CDV delete diy link but my ‘03 doesnt have anything that looks like that diy.

Help?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You want the other end of that flexible hose- where it attaches to the hard line that
goes to the clutch secondary cylinder (formerly 'slave').
It just looks like a redundant coupler with a hex on the outside of it.

When you unscrew everything, you are able to reconnect the flex hose to the
clutch hardline without that 'coupler' inbetween.

hth

t

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,617 Posts
You want the other end of that flexible hose- where it attaches to the hard line that
goes to the clutch secondary cylinder (formerly 'slave').
It just looks like a redundant coupler with a hex on the outside of it.

When you unscrew everything, you are able to reconnect the flex hose to the
clutch hardline without that 'coupler' inbetween.

hth

t
There you have it, CDV delete in a buttshell! :LOL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts