E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay-
So I know everyone has been trying to get some hard data on the stock HK speaker sizes... so here is my contribution... I pulled the door panels off my 2002 E46 M3 coupe and measure them myself.

Hopefully this will take the guess work out of swapping out speakers and upgrading...

In my 2002 E46 M3 with HK sound I have the following speakers...

In the front doors, three speakers each door, 6 total for the front stage as follows:

2x Tweeters 37mm 1.5inches overall diameter. The dome is about .5-.75 inches.

2x Midranges (Top of door next to tweeter) 60mm/2.3inches overall diameter. 37mm/1.5inches deep.

2x Midbass(Bottom of door) 160mm/6.29inches diameter metal speaker basket overall. Cone is 120mm/4.75inches. The overall diameter from bolt hole to bolt hole on center is 190mm/7.4inches on the PLASTIC mounting flanges, of the adaptor the speaker is mounted in. Speaker is marked 21watt, 3ohm btw. Also there is space ring between the speaker nad the door that offsetst this driver from the door by 10mm and has roughly the same overal diameter as the driver. There is some additional space better this ring and the grill, about 20mm to be had with some careful triming.

In the rear:
2x tweeter (I didn't pull the panel and measure)

2x Midbass same exact demensions as above Midbass. Identical speaker. Reardeck

2x 6x9 woofers Center of rear deck.'

This makes for a total of 12 speakers. However the Tweeter and the mid in the upperfront are both power by one pair(positive and negative) wires. There is small resistor on the tweeter which I assume is the crossover. Even thought the front looks like a 3way system, and technically is, it is not tri-wired, it is wired like a two-way from the amp.

Note: These are the stock demension...this does not mean that this is the max speaker size you can fit. There is clearly some room for a deeper and larger 6.5midbass in the front lower doors with some trimming of the plastic. These specs are for a E46 Coupe with HK, 4 door sedans are different because the front doors are shorter.

Pictures to follow.

For now go here for pictures if you registered on this forum...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=679285#post679285

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks!

Great info. How deep are the midbass drivers? Are you saying that there is 30mm more space to be had?

As for the resistor, maybe its to attenuate the signal or impedance match the tweeter, but I don't think it's a crossover. If it was a high-pass filter it would be a capacitor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's cleaned up version with some more detaill... sorry about that I was in a hurry yesterday...
Okay-
Hopefully this will take the guess work out of swapping out speakers and upgrading. In my 2002 E46 M3 with HK sound I have the following speakers...

In the doors, three speakers each door, 6 total for the front stage as follows:
2x Tweeters
37mm/1.5inches overall diameter.
The dome is about .5-.75 inches.

2x Midranges (Top of door next to tweeter) 60mm/2.3inches overall diameter.
37mm/1.5inches overall depth/height.
53mm/2.0 magnet diameter

2x Midbass(Bottom of door)
160mm/6.29inches diameter metal speaker basket overall. Cone is 120mm/4.75inches.
Overall depth/height of speaker 65mm/2.5inches
Overall magnet diameter is 71mm/2.8inches
The overall diameter from bolt hole to bolt hole on center is 190mm/7.4inches on the PLASTIC mounting flanges of the adaptor the speaker is mounted in.
Also there is spacer/ring between the speaker and the door panel that offsets this driver from the door panel by 10mm and has roughly the same overal diameter as the driver. There is some additional space better this ring and the grill, about 20mm to be had with some careful triming.
Speaker Midbass is marked 21watt, 3ohm btw.

In the rear:
2x Tweeters (I didn't pull the panel and measure)

2x Midbass same exact demensions as above Midbass. Identical speaker. Outside edges of the reardeck

2x 6x9 woofers center of rear deck.

This makes for a total of 12 speakers. However, the tweeter and the mid in the upper-front door panel are both powered by one pair(positive and negative) wires. There is small resistor on the tweeter which I assume is the highpass filter. Even though the front looks like a 3-way system, and technically it is, it is not tri-wired, it is wired like a two-way from the amp.

Note: These are the stock demension...this does not mean that this is the max speaker size you can fit. There is clearly some room for a deeper and larger 6.5midbass in the front lower doors with some trimming of the plastic. There is also probably another 20mm of additional depth available. Which would mean you can probably make a speaker with a overal depth of 65mm+20mm for 85mm/3.35in work there depending on how you mounted it.

These specs are for a E46 Coupe with HK, 4 door sedans are different because the front doors are shorter.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Actually, the speakers in the rear side panels (coupe) or rear doors (sedan) are a 2.5" midrange and not a tweeter. You only get the 6"x9" subs in the Harman Kardon equipped cars, they are not included in the standard system. Otherwise the speaker sizes are exactly the same in both the Standard and HK audio systems.

The main differences between the two systems is the speakers' resistance ratings.
6.25" Midbass
HK : 3 ohms
Standard : 2 ohms

2.5" Midrange
HK: 4 ohms
Standard : 8 ohms

.75" Tweeter
Hk : 3 ohm
Standard : 8 ohm

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but it's a very valuable one... any1 have the numbers on how many watts the 6x9's get?
edit: answer:
... as far as we can tell, the factory amplifier for those 6x9 subwoofers only puts out around 20-30 watts rms.
I am thinking about replacing them with normal 6x9 speakers and having a separate amp/sub setup, but am new to speaker systems, would the signals work or are they different since they're subs?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but it's a very valuable one... any1 have the numbers on how many watts the 6x9's get?
edit: answer:

I am thinking about replacing them with normal 6x9 speakers and having a separate amp/sub setup, but am new to speaker systems, would the signals work or are they different since they're subs?
Hey, this is an old thread!

If you are going to have a separate amp/sub setup, then you should probably just throw out the hk sub. The hk sub is setup to play low-frequencies only so you don't need it anymore if you have a separate sub. It would probably just make it sound worse.

·
Registered
148 Posts
haha. well, least it shows that i search! :) well, i was thinking in terms of using that area to put 2 3-way 6x9 speakers and pull out the hk subs..?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
reviving an old thread once again, post #6 has a quote saying "as far as we can tell, the factory amplifier for those 6x9 subwoofers only puts out around 20-30 watts rms."

does this mean the amp is rated at 60W rms or...................what??

im researching the hk system as ive bought massive aftermarket sub and amp and need the treble to match. i have all the dimensions, what sort of speakers are where. all i need now is what rms the amp puts out.

and also, can i replace the 6x9 subs in the parcel shelf with 6" speakers??

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know this is an old thread but......

I am currently replacing my tweeters (HK System) and noticed this:

The sticker on here says that the tweeter is 4 Ohms which is contradictory to the 3 Ohm rating stated above.

·
Registered
0 Posts
good info, need to redo mine now but having a hard time deciding what route to go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
think about why you posted this......

Its not as important to know what BMW uses in their factory systems but to know what speakers will fit in the locations without a whole lot of retrofitting.

For this we need to know the max drop in speaker sizes

I believe for the front you can easily drop a 5 1/4" component system and a 6.5" with slight modifications.

in the rear, a good drop in would be a 4" mid driver for rear fill and I would pass on a tweeter in the rear because that will screw up your soundstage. You'll get a reverby sound with two tweeter sets firing at different times and when you try to fill the rear the soundstage will drift back as you raise the volume of the rears.

What now would be extremely helpful is the actual mounting depths in each location so we can buy speakers that actually fit and mount without special retrofitting.

I found a nice 4" shallow mount from CDT with a 1.25" mounting depth for the rear fill if nothing deeper will work. Anyone know this depth?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You guys, sorry to revive this for 5 time, my right front speaker (mid I believe) just started distorting. It is the original of the car since so far i wanted to keep it original.
But now, I am thinking I should replace it all together since they are all the same age and prob will start dying on me one by one.
Now, I don't need to blast the street, but just something of "decent" quality replacements. But after reading few posts here on the forum I realize that I cannot directly replace them.
The amp has to change as well yes? Also, I like my trunk the way it is and was wondering what recommendations do you guys have? Should I go for a different deck as well? Do I have to get components or can I get a woofer, A mid two way and then the AMP will have filters? Last time I tempered with speakers I was in high school and changed the GTi speakers to mids and tweeters and a sub in the back (good naive times) I had the amp do the cut out job. But that was a "while" ago (1999). Is it different now days and components are the only good product? Also do 6*9 come one way? All I found were like 2 or 3 way.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.

I'm no expert in this field but I've been doing some upgrading myself and tell you what I've done so far and what I'm planning to do. Anyone who can point out the error of may ways or thinking, I'll be very grateful.

I replaced the HK amp with JL Audio XD400 and used German Audio Specialties E39/E53 Passive Crossover Network and added a BavSound Ghost Subwoofer. I must say the the improvement in sound is quite dramatic, so clear, I'm very happy with this setup. I can't tell you whether it was the amp or the crossover network but it does sound like a new system. The subwoofer, the jury is still out on this one. It's probably my fault, I'm still playing with various controls on the subwoofer but I find that I can't really feel or hear the subwoofer unless I fold down one of the rear seats, is this what I'm supposed to do? Hopefully I'll get it right soon.

To do list.
1. Replace the front speakers, as I'd like more bass up the front. If I wanted to replace the 3 front speakers with minimum fuss, I guess I could go with BavSound or another ebay shop that sells speakers that are the same size as my current HK speakers but I'm thinking of going with a 2-way setup as I'll have more options. To get more bass up front, I'll prob have to bypass the passive crossover network and get speakers with it's own crossover.
2. Upgrade the head unit to Dynavin N6? I purchased a Kenwood 2-Din unit to replace the factory headunit, I knew there was cutting to be done but when I pulled my headunit out and saw what I had to do, lost my nerve and sold the Kenwood on ebay.

Any comments, advice, or corrections will be much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there info about front speakers in HK touring? Are this one the same?
6.25" Midbass
HK : 3 ohms
.75" Tweeter

If I'm planning to change amp, should I consider mid-range replacement? Is there any list of speakers which are more or less easy to fit to factory place?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.