E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm really frustrated here...and I figure lots of other potential board members will be too! :ben:

Why is there not a definitive list of all speaker sizes and (possibly) mounting depths of the factory speakers???

Obviously, we all know that coupes and sedans have different sizes. Not sure about the M3 though... Also, we mostly agree that the HK upgrade isn't worth it!

So, here's my proposal to all the ICE installers on here:

Let's make a list of all the factory sizes of speakers that is comprehensive enough to be included in the FAQ for the board!
I mean, wouldn't this save alot of question answering in the future?

So, let's get:

Coupe sizes all around (and depths, if possible).
Sedan sizes all around (depths...)
HK upgrade for both...if it changes speaker size, depth, etc...
And M3 sizes (if different)

I am willing to collect all this data, organize it all perty, and submit it to the FAQ! I just havn't been able to find a comprehensive list!

Thanks in advance and hopefully we can settle all this once and for all!

:banghead:

--K

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what I have so far....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Sedan w/HK :

Front 3 way set -> 5 1/4 and 3 inch mid and 2 inch tweet.
Rear door -> 3 inch mid
Rear deck -> 6x9 inch.

Coupe:

Front 3 way -> 6 1/2 and 3 inch mid and 2 inch tweet.
Rear deck -> 6x9 inch.

M3: :dunno:

So, if anyone has any corrections/comments/or can add anything, please do!

Thanks.

--K

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
Boston 6,5 inch for sedan is ok to as long as you willing to install the boston grills and remove the oem grills

·
Registered
75 Posts
The speaker diameters are easy. What we need to know are maximum mounting depths too.

For example, most Focal 5 1/4" speakers will not fit in the door because it is way too deep.

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts

sedan
6.5 inch boston
grill outside

I am going to change my setup but i can tell you 6.5 inch is realy better sounding then any 5.5 inch.

But if you lease your care whell forget it :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Speakers

TO be technically accurate - the woofers in the coupe are 160mm - whioch roughly converts to 6.5" I put JL audio TR series mid basses in with the trim ring. They fit - if you position them PERFECTLY on the trim ring. Otherwise you need a custom ring.

The tweeters, if you are measuring the speaker portion only, are actually 1" soft dome.

The JL TR tweeter (which is integrated into the grill/housing) will fit in the stock tweet location with the aid of a dremel :)

·
Banned
1,770 Posts
Re: Here's what I have so far....

Keiser said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Sedan w/HK :

Front 3 way set -> 5 1/4 and 3 inch mid and 2 inch tweet.
Rear door -> 3 inch mid
Rear deck -> 6x9 inch.

Coupe:

Front 3 way -> 6 1/2 and 3 inch mid and 2 inch tweet.
Rear deck -> 6x9 inch.

M3: :dunno:

So, if anyone has any corrections/comments/or can add anything, please do!

Thanks.

--K

Coupe's don't have 6x9 in the rear deck. They have 6.25" or something close to that.
This is what a coupe has in the front doors and rear deck (shown next to a 160mm or 6.29" Focal).

Rich

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,669 Posts
Re: 6.5

Pmmeke said:
sedan
6.5 inch boston
grill outside

I am going to change my setup but i can tell you 6.5 inch is realy better sounding then any 5.5 inch.

But if you lease your care whell forget it :)
I wonder if the 6.5" Focal Utopias would fit there mounted on the outside of the door like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know that Dynaudio MW160GT drivers will fit behind the factory trim of a coupe. Though the cast basket MW160's will not due to their larger mounting face diameter.

They also sound superb !

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ok, what happened to this thread?

It's a GREAT idea. Please, don't just post what size speaker you mounted.
Give the demensions of the speaker you mounted. That will help incredibly in finding what speakers will work and will not.

Some here say the stock speaker is 6.25 and that 6.5 won't fit, but then some get on here and say that "boston" 6.5" will fit and that JL 6.5" will fit.
Well, will 6.5" fit or NOT?

I'm looking at components that are 6.5" mid-bass drivers but I can them in a 6" if necessary. But, I still don't know the mounting depth for sure.

Why is this information so hard to get? And doing a search reveals practically nothing in terms of real measurements or manufacturers listed measurements which would be helpful.

Yes, I am getting frustrated. This is the hardest car I've ever had in terms of getting REAL information on regarding the audio system.

TT

·
Bavarian I.C.E.
416 Posts
For my Coupe I have JL Audio XR650-CSi's in both the front doors and the rear deck. Here are the specs:

2-way System:
6.5-inch (160 mm) Woofer
1-inch (25 mm) Aluminum Dome Tweeter
Woofer mounting depth: 2.81" (approx. 2-13/16")
Tweeter mounting depth: 0.625" (5/8")

These fit with no modifications to the door.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ack,

The sedan has less depth for the door speakers than the coupe, correct?

On your setup, how much room was there between the door and the back of the mid bass driver magnet?

Did you happen to measure the circumference of the actual speaker?
Or does JL list that measurement somewhere in their literature?
The speakers I want come in a 6.5" driver or a 6" driver.
If I can I want to go with the 6.5" instead of the 6", but I don't want to mod the door metal either. I do have to return the car in 36 months. :)
But, I may just opt to buy it considering the mods I want to do.

TT

·
Bavarian I.C.E.
416 Posts
SST said:
Ack,

The sedan has less depth for the door speakers than the coupe, correct?

On your setup, how much room was there between the door and the back of the mid bass driver magnet?

Did you happen to measure the circumference of the actual speaker?
Or does JL list that measurement somewhere in their literature?
The speakers I want come in a 6.5" driver or a 6" driver.
If I can I want to go with the 6.5" instead of the 6", but I don't want to mod the door metal either. I do have to return the car in 36 months. :)
But, I may just opt to buy it considering the mods I want to do.

TT
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the coupes doors have more depth than the sedan.

I haven't measured the actual distance between the door and magnet, but its enough that the door panel fits back perfectly with no gaps between the panel and door frame.

I haven't measured the speaker circumference and when I went to JL's site, they don't list speaker circumference, only diameter. If its a round speaker, the circumference of the 6.5" speaker would be 20.42". I'm not sure why the circumference would even matter.

I believe people have fit 6.5" speakers in the sedan but this required modification to the door. Most speaker shops should be able to tell you if a certain speaker size will fit.

Since I'm not very familiar with the sedan, I am not a good source for info. Maybe someone with a sedan can help you out some more. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I ask about circumference due to different manufacturers method of making the speaker frame/basket. Some measure diameter from center of the dust cap to the edge of the rubber/foam surround but don't list the diameter all the way to the edge of the frame. If the diameter listing is to the frame edge, then that number just as well as you indicate.

From what I've read the coupe has a bit more depth for the speaker. The hole in the sedan is the same size as the coupe but the depth is less in the sedan requiring some kind of mod if you go with a deep speaker.

But, your speakers are almost 3" deep and there is still room.
I'm hoping the sedan has at least 2.75" and maybe close to 3" at the limit.
If that's the case there many speakers that will work.

Thanks for the info.

TT

1 - 20 of 44 Posts