BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4668 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Decided to go through with the E46 M3 Engine Transplant => 323i...SMG/LSD/Engine PIX

So finally got my hands on a M3 motor/SMG/LSD/Cluster/seats...It's gonna be fun taking my car apart...Wish me luck, I'm gonna need a lot of it...=)

Cluster + LSD + rear suspension...

Exhaust Pipes...

Box of cables...

M3 Seats...

Steering Column

DME/ECU/Top Damaged Engine...

SMG Tranny

SMG design is great...its actually just another module attached on to a manual tranny...so if you had SMG you could make it a 6speed...

Spark Plug Chamber

Head

Double Vanos

I thought installing a supercharger myself would be hard but it turned out, it's not so bad after all...of course this is a completely different...but who knows...

·
Registered
125 Posts
holly ****! i wish i was that confident in my wrench skills.

that is quite a task, i have one question though. i do not mean to flame or put down or anything. i think what you are doing kickz ass, but how much did all of those parts alone cost you?

and how do you know how to do that large of an install? i almost cried when i saw the smg and the LSD, but then the engine....whoah!

best of luck, please keep us updated...

ps...that your car in the sig? simply beautiful.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep thats my car...just got it back...my waranty expired like 3 days ago...got a bunch of stuff replaced on the last day...new vanos unit also...hopefully someone will want to buy a 323i engine...only 35k miles on it too =)

Parts were pretty expensive...I'll release the prices when I finish the project...I kno I kno...cheaper if you bought a 2002 M3 for 35-40k...but no point in having another M3 in the family....

I actually don't know how to do a engine install...but I didn't know what a supercharger was either...Hopefully by the end of all of this I'll know the E46 down to each screw and bolt...

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
mad props, it takes real balls to mess with that shyt. good luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good Luck!! :bow:

·
Network Analyst
3,495 Posts
Eh....those M3 seats look ugly. Never knew how ugly those seats were.

Anyway, that's some crazy crap right there. Don't forget pics pics pics!

·
Sh!t Happens.
4,814 Posts
Damn man, your one of my idols...Ever since the Diy for the SC and Navi...Good Luck with all this, and Please post pics along the way...:bow:

·
Registered
125 Posts
yup, just read about everything on your cite. first off, let me say that i truly admire your willingness to learn and your diy diaries. you have done an excellent job in both the write ups and the installs. a supercharger install on your own is impressive in anyone's book!

when this is all said and done you will have the only e46 m3 i have ever heard of that is also a 4 door.

good luck

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,857 Posts
Very impressive. I look forward to following the progress.....perhaps we can work out a deal for some incremental updates on the main page?

m3ryder said:
when this is all said and done you will have the only e46 m3 i have ever heard of that is also a 4 door.
Actually RE has a S54 powered wagon already, but I don't think I have heard of an S54 powered sedan.

Tim

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure there's gotta be a few 4door's that have done the swap but it must be rare...probably some in germany that we just don't know about? There's gonna be a few nice features in the conversion too...heated front seats...automatic on/off for xenon's...DSC III...plus the DME/ECU will actually accept the navigation as standard...

I always take a lot of pictures so don't worry about that part...and of course, tim, you can use the pictures...not a problem =)

·
Registered
527 Posts
MITE46,

i just read through your site... you are possibly the smartest guy on this forum. Some of the tasks you've tackled are not for the meek at heart.

must be that IVY league education :)

Yah, you've got balls of steel... no way would i rip apart my whip... especially if i didn't know what i was doing!!

1 - 20 of 4668 Posts