BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my M3 e46 a few months ago from a very reputable BMW dealership a few months ago with 2000 miles on it. I had them put in writting on the sales receipt that the car had never been in an accident and that it had never been repainted.
Well last week I noticed that the paint was chipping off the bottom of the rear bumper next to the wheels. I took it in to another dealership where the manager had a look and told me that the bumper had been repainted! %$#@*! not only that but apparantly it hadn't even been tied on properly.
Does anyone know of any good legal recourse I can take??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Carfax is not always accurate. I almost bought a car, based on a clean carfax, and a lying owner and dealer, until my eagle eyed girlfried found that the fender had been repainted.

Carfax does not get the small fender benders.

·
Registered
222 Posts
askharjoon said:
I bought my M3 e46 a few months ago from a very reputable BMW dealership a few months ago with 2000 miles on it. I had them put in writting on the sales receipt that the car had never been in an accident and that it had never been repainted.
Well last week I noticed that the paint was chipping off the bottom of the rear bumper next to the wheels. I took it in to another dealership where the manager had a look and told me that the bumper had been repainted! %$#@*! not only that but apparantly it hadn't even been tied on properly.
Does anyone know of any good legal recourse I can take??
What would you like? If it is reasonable, why not contact the selling dealer and calmly say "Look, you guaranteed me something that turned out to not be true. I'd like (name something). What can you do for me?" They'd probably offer to compromise somewhere in the middle if you're being reasonable - after all, you did say they were a very reputable dealership.

Legal action should be the last thing to consider. For one thing, you and the dealer will both get swamped by legal fees, and it would probably cause the dealer to tell you that they can only deal with you through their lawyers.

Unless the selling dealership had custody of the car for the whole time (no previous owner other than the dealership) they're at the mercy of the seller (who sold it to _them_) and that person's representations. Granted, they could probably have done a better job checking the car out, but what reasonable expectation would they have had that the car had been repainted in under 2000 miles of ownership? If you feel you need to involve lawyers, how about asking the dealer "Look, we both got taken by the guy who sold you this car - let's get together and get compensation from the guy who actually perpetrated the fraud".

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,

I'm just a little bit jaded as my last car was an new 2000 e46 328ci experiencing the following problems over the next 3 years....

1. ac unit and module had to be replaced twice for clunking out.

2. my blower cluncked out in the middle of the summer heat.

3.thermostat cluncked in the middle of the winter...no heat for 2.5 weaks as it was back ordered.

4.The iddle was erratic off a cold start..taken to dealership over 10 times each time the computer was reprogrammed/updated. Never really got fixed.

5. ENTIRE TRANSMISSION was replaced due to problems shifting

6. Sunroof stopped working...new brackets

7. Headlight washer nozzle cluncked.

8. suspension struts were replaced.

BMW canada's customer service is in line with customer service in North Korea (with no offense to any Koreans in this forum).

The car was never raced and my wife thinks that I'm absolutely retarded for trading up to an M3 but boys will be boys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts