E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dealer wants $300 for an alarm swap!

1K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Tenchi 
#1 ·
thats not right is it?

They are taking the alarm from my 01 and putting it into the 03. They said it takes an hour and a half to pull it out...and another hour and half to put it in. I thought this was an easy job?

#2 ·
I'd guess that a competent shop should be able to do the swap and program in 2 hrs. I have done installs in 30-45 min, then it takes about 1/2 hr for dealer to program.

#3 ·
Do it yourself. Seriously. It's not that hard. The tilt and motion sensors are just snap in. The siren is the only "hard" part. It should take you a half an hour for each car. As far as programing, the dealer should throw it in for free since you are buying the car. I got mine activated for free. Took them 5 mins from the time I gave them my keys to the time I was driving off.

EDIT: I should say that my dealer wanted $500 for the alarm when I originally bought it. I said screw it and did it myself.

#5 ·
xkrnxnamjahx said:
wow.. my dealer wants 400$ for the setup of alarm..

He says my m3 already has alarm, but just need the setup to connect the wires.. and that'll be 400$ ... :cry:
do it yourself...plenty of DIY directions here to do it and save yourself some money but then again...you just spent major $$$$$ on your M3, does it matter?

#10 ·
codex57 said:
Dude, do it yourself. I know you said you didn't feel like doing it, but that's so not worth it. C'mon, you can spare 45 minutes can't you?

I don't have a private garage and my building frowns upon any type of car work being performed inside. I don't have the tools neither

#11 ·
10chi said:
I don't have a private garage and my building frowns upon any type of car work being performed inside. I don't have the tools neither
well, too bad you are not in Brighton, you can use my big ass garage/parking lot for any work...hell I am out there washing/waxing/ipod and bluetooth my damn car this past month....all my neighbors think I am obsessed with my car. :dunno:

#12 ·
BOSTONVietKid said:
well, too bad you are not in Brighton, you can use my big ass garage/parking lot for any work...hell I am out there washing/waxing/ipod and bluetooth my damn car this past month....all my neighbors think I am obsessed with my car. :dunno:

I live in Watertown :D

#15 ·
go 10chi! I live in allston and u can work there too man. I got plenty of tools.

#16 ·
AlBoston said:
go 10chi! I live in allston and u can work there too man. I got plenty of tools.

woohoo! 2 fanatics that live close by me. :thumbup:

I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer. I told them $100 tops when I first agreed to buy the car. My sales rep is trying to get it done for that price. we shall see how it goes.

#17 ·
10chi said:
woohoo! 2 fanatics that live close by me. :thumbup:

I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer. I told them $100 tops when I first agreed to buy the car. My sales rep is trying to get it done for that price. we shall see how it goes.
if they are smart, they would do it...just plain old good customer service! I see debadged BMWs as well as other mods around the brookline/brighton/allston areas all the times...still haven't seen anyone with an fanatic sticker.

#18 ·
BOSTONVietKid said:
if they are smart, they would do it...just plain old good customer service! I see debadged BMWs as well as other mods around the brookline/brighton/allston areas all the times...still haven't seen anyone with an fanatic sticker.

I don't have a sticker but I am in the Brighton area a lot (gotta do my Super 88 thing) My 330 kinda stood out so maybe u have seen me. I think I was the only black BMW in the area with gold pin stripes (i bought the car thinking they were peel offs but nooooo...they were painted on :banghead: )

#19 ·
10chi said:
I don't have a sticker but I am in the Brighton area a lot (gotta do my Super 88 thing) My 330 kinda stood out so maybe u have seen me. I think I was the only black BMW in the area with gold pin stripes (i bought the car thinking they were peel offs but nooooo...they were painted on :banghead: )
ok, I will keep my eyes out for your car...mine has no front plate if you see a steel grey 330ci without a front plate, it is me...I am usually down by the Coolidge corner daily.

#20 ·
BOSTONVietKid said:
ok, I will keep my eyes out for your car...mine has no front plate if you see a steel grey 330ci without a front plate, it is me...I am usually down by the Coolidge corner daily.

BostonVietkid, Alboston....

do u guys own ur own place? where do u wash ur cars?

oh, I don't have the blk 330 no more as of tomorrow. its gonna be a silver 330i

#21 ·
10chi said:
BostonVietkid, Alboston....

do u guys own ur own place? where do u wash ur cars?

oh, I don't have the blk 330 no more as of tomorrow. its gonna be a silver 330i
Near Watertown actually, I went to a place on Market street. near CompUSA and dunkin Donuts....not machine wash...but it sucked when I was there. $3 per 3 minutes and half of the equipment didn't work and the line is long....may be some other people had better luck there. I own my own place yes but there is no way to wash my car there....other owners don't mind me using the big underground garage to work on my car but washing it in there would be a big nono. I did wash it once using a bucket late at night when I won't get caugh and zano's it:eeps:

Lately, I washed whenever I visit my parents or other family members that live in the burbs of Boston. I don't want to use machine wash place because I am too fearful of the damages I read on this board. :yikes:

I would go back to the place I mentioned only late at night when there is no line and I don't have to rush and I can use the slot with good equipments. Since it is only 2 blocks from my house, I can Zano it when I am back home.

#22 ·
BOSTONVietKid said:
Near Watertown actually, I went to a place on Market street. near CompUSA and dunkin Donuts....not machine wash...but it sucked when I was there. $3 per 3 minutes and half of the equipment didn't work and the line is long....may be some other people had better luck there. I own my own place yes but there is no way to wash my car there....other owners don't mind me using the big underground garage to work on my car but washing it in there would be a big nono. I did wash it once using a bucket late at night when I won't get caugh and zano's it:eeps:

Lately, I washed whenever I visit my parents or other family members that live in the burbs of Boston. I don't want to use machine wash place because I am too fearful of the damages I read on this board. :yikes:

I would go back to the place I mentioned only late at night when there is no line and I don't have to rush and I can use the slot with good equipments. Since it is only 2 blocks from my house, I can Zano it when I am back home.

I know where that is. I usually wash my car there but I always end up with swirl marks. I live not too far from there. Probably about 4 stoplights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.