E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was a fairly common prob for fans in colder climates. If you ever watched your RPM needle bounce around at a stop light or had your car completely die in cold weather this may be your fix.

The dealer has had my car for two days. The first to be able to listen to the cold morning idle and the second to confirm w/ the national tech that the VANOS was the culprit.

They said the vanos had loosened up and was the cause for a jumpy idle - and something about the gas not hitting it right - whatever not my area of expertise.

I had been pushing the fix b/c my 4yr warranty runs out in June(?).

Big thanks to this site and TheDream21479 for diagnosing the prob.

Hopefully it works out. I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
910 Posts
do dealer cares about what mods you have? they ask at all? i have an ecu upgraded. i m afraid to drop my car off for any fixes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Dinan CAI w/SW. I made sure to tell them so they didn't overwrite my software. The first thing they asked was who installed it. I am sure if I said anyone besides a BMW Dealership, they would've hassled me fer sure.

Also, something annoying to note. The service advisor told me the part was over $1100 and that the dealership has to pay for shipping. So they have to weigh the cost of overnight shipping with the cost of standard shipping and keeping me in a loaner. That kind of bugs. He said he'd pull for me since I've already been in a loaner for two days and even if they over-nighted, it looks like it'll be another 3 days.

Bug, bug, bug.

LASTLY to note. When I dropped off my car I saw an incredibly beautiful and stunning all black 850Ci V-12 with huge Hamman (SP?) wheels. Sorry no pics.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yep, My vanos was replaced too for the same reason last month---exact same reason---cold climate= jumpy idle and car would die

They said that the Vanos gears and assembly was worn and the Vanos ECU was bad

·
BMW for life
588 Posts
Mine, too.

In freezing, and I mean freezing mornings, car died just before stopping at a light. Happened twice over a three week period.

Voila, Vanos vamoos!

Perfect. So far:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts