E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a set of coilovers for my 330i, but I don't want to get a bunch of crap from the dealer when I go in for service, nor do I really want to have a confrontation about voiding my warranty.

For those of you with coilovers(and under warranty), what has been the dealer reaction?

Thanks!

·
Master of his domain.
2,236 Posts
This isn't exactly the same...

But I brought in my 330ci for some service and the rep took one look at the car and asked what I had done to lower it. It was pointless to lie, since it's obvious that the car had been lowered. I told him that I had an Eibach-Pro Kit intalled and he just grinned and gave me a big :thumbup:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Problem with lower cars is that it makes it harder for the vehicle to go on the alignment rack and sometimes small blocks of wood isnt enough to assist it. Even if it goes on the alignment rack the bumper is so low that the beams cant even see each other.

The tech has to waste time getting a jack just so the legs of the lift can go underneath the jacking points.

If a customer complains of rattle or squeaks and the vehicle has an aftermarket suspension/wheels, the tech wont bother looking for the noise and just write down that the aftermarket suspension is causing it. Basically you'll lose your body noise warranty.

Some dealers are cool with mods and some arent.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My dealer installed my KW's....of course I was given the standard "this will void your warranty" comment. However, it came accross as standard CYA stuff, and I'm sure I will be able to negotiate for warranty coverage should something happen to the suspension that's not directly related to the coilovers.

The dealer here is pretty cool about mods, in fact the Sales Manager asked to take my car for a ride after the install and was so impressed he's considering bringing some in to stock for resale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the dealer "voids" your warranty, does that mean the whole car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.