BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here goes I am getting/ordering/bartering/whatever software THIS WEEK.

Many of you know now my dish, I have a Dinan CAI.

Which ECU software should I nab?
1. Technik Stage I (399$)
2. Shark (350$?)
3. Dinan Stg 2 (399$ + .5 hr labour = ~450$)

My Goals/concerns:
1. Power HP, torque and all that blah, blah, blah (search done).
2. Correct ECU for air/fuel mixture to better use CAI.
3. Further improve throttle response.
4. I def want to add an exhaust maybe a throttle body later on - would I need an upgrade??
5. and yeah, warranty as I only have 11.6K mi, but that isn't as big a deal as I have already done a search on this and know what you all think.

Aside: Yo, Sam or Samir, if you are out there... comment - cuz I am gonna be a callin'!!

Hit me up with your quick opinions and value-rich rants about this never-ending topic. Review to be posted after decision/install is complete.

Thanks!

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
if i were in your shoes, i would stick with one company, that can get you the best gains. in this case, it would be technik all the way

dinan doesnt give as good performance, and will most likley cost u more, for like parts.

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
if you're gonna get GruppeM anyways, get the Technik software! The tandem works great for many users on this board.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Technik Stage I ???

Does the Technik s/w let you remove and reinstall like the shark?

My last review of s/w came up with shark as the best bang for the buck.

Assuming there all pretty much the same, the Shark let's you add and remove whenever you want.

Picks to date: (after reading 1000's of posts)

GruppeM
shark
tse2

:pimpin:

Dinan = too much money

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
ii would not forget a larger rear end gear

or another name is a shorter penion gear. that will give you faster starts anywhere from 2/10 to 5/10 faster in a 1/4 mile.
depends on what gear you go with. but it will cost you around 3,000.00.
bobm3

·
Obey my dog
2,616 Posts
i would go with technik (in fact, i did :tongue: ) or shark. the shark has the advantage of being able to remove it and reinstall it. rennsport will let you reinstall the technik as well though if a dealer decides to rewrite your ecu. the dinan software yields no power gains...

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
994 Posts
Shark just because of ease of install/re-install. IMO Shark and Technik are gonna have similar gains, although their dyno claims are different. Its just way too hard to squeak much more HP out of BMW emgines as they are already pretty optimized from the factory.

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
if you buy a separate cable, you could flash your own Technik or OEM anytime you choose.

·
Registered
780 Posts
And what if 5 to 10 years from now we need to reload the technik software & technik is no longer around? then what do we do?

BTW I have a Macintosh G4Powerbook, can i use virtual pc to download the software?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts