E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found some more answers to why my instrument cluster died, what else it has affected, and how I can resolve this so I thought I'd make a post for others. The first symptoms I got was my most of the lights on my cluster went out except for the abs, brake, and airbag light. This included the gauges and I've heard a dead cluster can affect the AC and other modules. When I plugged in my 1.4.0 scanner and hooked it up to the computer I couldn't find most of the modules. The only modules I was able to read were the DME, ABS, and LEW. I'll list all the errors I got at the bottom because there were a lot. I could get a cheap scanner to work because it was just going off the DME. For more information about the diagnosing the k-bus components check out 50skid video on the replacing the steering angle sensor or the K-bus troubleshooting guide on bmwgm5.com. So I pulled out the cluster and removed the back panel to check out the motherboard and look for any damage. I found what appeared to be a leaking capacitor with corroded traces around it (you'll be able to see this in the picture). I ordered a replacement capacitor from German Audio Tech but if I did it again I'd find one elsewhere for cheaper. The capacitor is 35v 470u-m. If you do the replacement yourself you want to make sure to get the polarity right which I believe is the orientation in which you install the capacitor. Replacement of this capacitor could be a necessary step of preventative maintenance for the cluster since it can ruin the board and is cheap. This issue seems somewhat common but I'd like to hear input on who's seen this capacitor leaking on their car or at scrap yards. However, you won't want to waste your time doing this if you have this problem as well. I thought most of my corrosion was on the surface of the traces and was told they could be polished up but corrosion went a lot further than what could be seen with the naked eye. Under a microscope I was able to see the extent of the damage. If this has occurred to your cluster then it's better to just replace it as a whole. Proper trace repair on these takes a lot of precision and very thin materials that would be quite tough to do at home. That would make replacing the cluster the cheaper route. I found one left in my local yard for $40 but the case read Bosch when mine was a Motometer. It has matching internals to my Motometer so it must have been swapped. When I got home I plugged it in and it lights up and the modules could be accessed. The information screen just showed PPPP I believe that can be fixed. I knew programming of the new board would be a pain to figure out which is why I spent the extra effort to fix mine. A good YouTube video that talks about transferring the clusters information is
According to the video you can transfer the M35080 chip which stores the information but I've also seen it might need reprograming before you can install it to the replacement board which requires some hardware as seen in the following YouTube video
I think matching the vin/milage in INPA and swapping the chip should reprogram it but I'll update this when I figure it out.
All the error codes:
DME: 83(131) Signal, CAN instrument cluster 2, timeout elapsed
84(132) Signal, CAN instrument cluster 3, timeout elapsed
EWS: 0F(015) Power on reset
ABS: 5E19(25089) CAN DME/DDE engine torque not adjustable
5E43(24131) Steering angle sensor internal
5DA0(23968) Wheel speed sensor front right electrical faulty
5E1F(24095) PT-CAN chassis number wrong/ECU not initialized
5E16(24086) CAN timeout instrument cluster
LEW: 09(009) No CAN message ASC
0B(011) Wrong LWS-ID
IKE: BF(191) Internal fault, EEPROM checksum, coding incorrect/incomplete
BE (190) Data-filing difference to central light module (LCM)
C7(199) Tank sensor 1
11(017) Thermal oil level sensor
ZCS/Fa reading error
CE(206) Error number CE
11(017) Error number 11
EGS signal disturbed
BE(190) Error number BE
LCM internal error
LCM: 'S' is not a valid integer
ZKE: 30(048) K-bus or control unit for instrument cluster basis (gateway)
90(144) Battery voltage open circuit
Remaining Error Codes
ABS: 5D90(23952) Wheel speed sensor front left electrical faulty
5E43(24131) Steering angle sensor internal
5DA0(23968) Wheel speed sensor front right electrical faulty
5E1F(24095) PT-CAN chassis number wrong/ECU not initialized
5E16(24086) CAN timeout instrument cluster
LEW: 09(009) No CAN message (ASC)
Circuit component Green Light Blue Passive circuit component

1 - 1 of 1 Posts