BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! i've been looking for a way to make my DDE's brighter and i finally found what i've been lookin' for!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/jcmr12v50wfl.html

here are the pics to show the difference. the drivers' side is with the 50w bulb and the passenger side are the original bulbs that came with setup.

what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
///M3Matt said:
lookin good. does the bulb have glass infront of it?
they do not have glass. that was one of the things i wanted, but they'll do for now. they are also flood, medium beam........at the moment, they did not have a spotlight available in the 50w's!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David328Ci said:
does the glass really keep the end of the fiber optic from melting.
by having the glass, INHO, it creates less heat.....therefore descreasing the chances of the ends of the fiber optics from melting.

i could be wrong.

any thoughts matt?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Mac Fly said:

by having the glass, INHO, it creates less heat.....therefore descreasing the chances of the ends of the fiber optics from melting.

i could be wrong.

any thoughts matt?
Thats correct:thumbup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Looks GREAT :thumbup:, i was thinking of doing the exact same thing but i couldn't find a 50w bulb that could fit in the stock lightbox. 18$ is quite a bit though for one bulb, anywhere where i can get these things cheaper locally? Anyone know what kind of stores stock this type of bulb?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Banana_Bread said:
Looks GREAT :thumbup:, i was thinking of doing the exact same thing but i couldn't find a 50w bulb that could fit in the stock lightbox. 18$ is quite a bit though for one bulb, anywhere where i can get these things cheaper locally? Anyone know what kind of stores stock this type of bulb?
the base of these 50w bulbs are a big thicker than the stock ones supplied. so you have to "jimmy" it in there to make it fit, but it's minor work.

i've searched high and low for these bulbs, i was just lucky enough to find them locally at store linked above. from what the owner tells me, his cost is $16.50 on those bulbs.

if anyone else knows of a source that has 12v 50w MR-11 bulbs, don't be shy.......do share!

john

·
Site Sponsor
18,523 Posts
sheesh, guy goes to the zoo with his kids and doesn't follow up and wham;)

I think the spreading of the light is not good aka "flood" but if it gets "some" more light, then it might be worth it.

As for melting of the fiber, well, that's mostly a function of proximity to the lamp. Whether it has a glass cover on it or not, that area is HOT.

If you are like me, meticulous about the install - and most of you are - then you tie wrap the fibers before the barrel, then put the sheath over the fibers, then tie wrap the sheath onto the barrel.

This cures MOST burnings. I did it on my wife's 7 and it's working so far.

But the next release will make all of this argument moot :D:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
umnitza said:
sorry, if you'd have spent 2 hours with a screaming 1 year old, you'd know that I have no clue what I'm writing right now:D
lol.......it's all good matt!!

look at the bright side, at least some caged animal didn't get loose in the zoo while you were there! lol

:thumbup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Malladawg said:
I saw this

USHIO

FST 12v 50w MR11 lamp - 11.00 10 only 8.25

Near the bottom of this page:

http://64.213.162.194/clearance/main_lighting.asp

Have to wait till Monday to call and see if, "Qty. 10 only", means you have to buy a minimum of 10, or you can't buy more than 10. :dunno:

Will keep you posted
good lookin' out! if the minimum is 10, maybe you can work out a group buy with others who are interested!!!

$11 sounds alot better than the $18 i paid!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BMWilli said:
any problems using that high a wattage bulb so far?
the only minor detail is having to secure the bulb, cuz' the "stem" of this bulb is a bit thicker. but once i was to secure it, it wasn't going anywhere!!

other than that, smooth transition and as you can tell......great results!!!

·
Beware of pwner
1,851 Posts
Mac Fly,

At least you were the brave soul to go out and try it. :bow:

Jim told me to wait 30 days before changing to a higher wattage, and because of you, I know it will look real good when I can. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts