BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pay 150$ for someone to do it right, or risk doing it yourself? (by the way, for all of you who know how blonde I am, I'm not the one thinking of doing the installation on my car). I have a lot of friends who have done the DDE installation themselves and it looks great! And they said they would install mine. But then someone else said they broke two rings trying to do it themselves, and that I should definitely go ahead and pay 150$ for a shop to do it because they know what they're doing. Your opinions? :dunno:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Rings are so delicate and very easy to break. I broke two, one when I reclose the packaging, and the other, when I was adjusting the ring after being installed. Also very easy to install, just have to be very careful.

If a shop is going to do it, make sure they will replace a ring if they break it - $20 a piece - but you still have to wait for shipment again.

·
-not a mod-
21,145 Posts
I wouldnt pay that much to have it done when its a fairly simple install. If they have done the install once before then they should have no problems the second time around. As far as breaking the rings, as long as your real careful with these things you should have no problems.

·
like ma bell, i got the...
1,199 Posts
that shit was hilarious! i am going all slow and cautiously ... the guy was even holding on to the damn thing ... and then you get on and take off ... very funny.

M3YLI -- think of it in public policy terms .... lets assume there's a 50% chance I break a ring. I don't think the chance is remotely that high but, for the sake of comparison lets assume.

Branch 1 (shop installs) - There is a 100% probability that you pay $150. Risk: $150.

Branch 2 (i install) - There is a 50% probability that you pay $20 to have a ring replaced. Risk: $10 (.5x20)

Obviously, the smart decision is to let me install.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoa, Mike, they let you say sh!t without censoring it! You must be some kind of e46fanatics guru. :tongue: Haha, I want you to install it, but all these people have been putting all these doubts in my head. When I get them, I will put my faith in you to install them. Was it hard to do? See ya at the next meet. :)

·
Beware of pwner
1,767 Posts
I wouldn't take it to a shop and pay $150 for it, unless they've done hundreds of them. Just because they work on cars, doesn't mean they know the intricacies of the DDE install.

Definately trust it to someone who's done it before.

I wish you lived closer, I'd definately install them for you. :D

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,617 Posts
Btw professional installs are usually about $100 unless you get custom work. I do some custom stuff for $100 personally.

You will need a delicate touch and a basic knowledge of wiring. If you have that you should be good to go. But if you don't want to risk it, pro installer could be your option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts