E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what year did they begin producing cars with this feature? I have an '00 323i and do not have this feature, or at least it's not activated. I saw what appeared to be the same year 323i yesterday that had them on.

I do not have the on board computer in this car - is the drl feature linked to this system, or is it something that just needs to be activated?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
You can get it activated if you want. I personally don't like them.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I have 'em and I don't want 'em...Mckenna BMW wanted $50.00 to deactivate them because I didn't buy my car there.Iguess I'll have to go to Shelly BMW so they can do it.I just dread dropping my car off for the day cuz it's never ready when you want it and neither dealer has any loaners available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would NOT want the DRS's This is a SAFETY FEATURE the the government actually got right. To my way of thinking there should be rear lights on also.
Not that any one in a BMW would EVER forget to turn on their lights at dusk!
I also do not understand why anyone would take the YELLOW DIRECTIONAL lenses and change them to white, the yellow is much more visable, and isn't that the reason for the lights....not that ANYONE IN A BMW would EVER forget to signal while they have their cell phone in their left hand...
I have been driving BMW's since my first one, a 1600 (anyone know what that is) for 37 years....AND have been a CCA member since 1971
Daniel BMWCCA 12660 (ok I'm off the soapbox) :banghead:

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
daka said:
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would NOT want the DRS's This is a SAFETY FEATURE the the government actually got right. To my way of thinking there should be rear lights on also.
I also do not understand why anyone would take the YELLOW DIRECTIONAL lenses and change them to white, the yellow is much more visable, and isn't that the reason for the lights....not that ANYONE IN A BMW would EVER forget to signal while they have their cell phone in their left hand...
I have been driving BMW's since my first one, a 1600 (anyone know what that is) for 37 years....AND have been a CCA member since 1971
1800 tisa > 1600.

·
Registered
62 Posts
daka said:
I totally understand where you're coming from. I actually asked to have my daytime running lights enabled so I'm easier to spot when I'm coming down ther road. However the majority view of many is that "looking cool" > safety IMHO.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
GordonMurray said:
1800 tisa > 1600.
ever considered that some ppl just turn on their parking lights/foglights/headlights on each time they drive instead of the Daytime Running Lamps? The daytime running lamps do look a bit awkward/cheap at times esp. for those who like their xenon blue look.

white turn signals are just as visable as yellow. whether or not u use your turn signals is a different story.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
DDog330 said:
I have 'em and I don't want 'em...Mckenna BMW wanted $50.00 to deactivate them because I didn't buy my car there.Iguess I'll have to go to Shelly BMW so they can do it.I just dread dropping my car off for the day cuz it's never ready when you want it and neither dealer has any loaners available.
McKenna wanted $100 from me to do it and I DID buy my car there! I don't think I'd buy another one there, nor will I have my services done there. They made enough $$ off me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Up here in Canada DRL is mandatory. On sunny days, I do agree that DRL is helpful especially if the car is light coloured (e.g. silver). But at dusk, where many people usually don't turn on their full headlights, DRL can be very annoying for other drivers. Why? If you ever drive at dusk or at night with a car with DRL right behind you, you'll know. Unfortunately many people don't realize DRL is bad for the car in front of them at dusk so I can't blame them, but still, it drives me nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.