E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to adjust the daytime running lights. For some reason, on the automatic mode, the front lights are staying on even in the daytime when in the past they functioned properly and shut off during the daylight. No codes have been changed; could the sytem malfunctioned or just need to be reset?

JM

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Are you talking about automatic headlights as in with a light sensor to turn on your headlights when it gets dark or daytime running lights. If daytime running lights these are supposed to be on unless you had your dealer shut them off. If you're talking about the light sensor, check and make sure nothing is covering the sensor itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine don't stay on all the time, but they do come on too often...like when pulling into the garage or going under an overpass. Seems like there should be a greater time delay from when it first senses low light until the time the actually come on. Can this be adjusted? (I'm refering to the Xenon's, not the daytime running lights...)

·
Registered
514 Posts
DAV330i said:
Mine don't stay on all the time, but they do come on too often...like when pulling into the garage or going under an overpass. Seems like there should be a greater time delay from when it first senses low light until the time the actually come on. Can this be adjusted? (I'm refering to the Xenon's, not the daytime running lights...)
Mine do the same thing. That is the what they are designed to do. I doubt dealer can change it. If it bugs you that much turn off auto-mode and turn them on yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The owner's manual states that the sensativity can be changed. I was wondering the way the techs do this.

jm

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have started to turn them on/off manually. It doesn't bug me that they are overly sensitive; I’m just concerned about longevity. The owners manual states “…the probability of a failure is very low, provided that they are not switched on and off an unusual number of times.”

·
Registered
389 Posts
What are you guys talking about?
There is a sensor to automaticly tun on and off the headlights?

I have a 2001 330ci with sport and premium packages. Does all cars have this or only some models. And was it and added option?

If I do have it, how can I test it? To see if I do have it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I too used to get annoyed by the very sensitive auto headlight. but I just stopped caring about it...it turns on when I pass thru overpass or sometime turns on like at 4pm and doesn't turn off again...:banghead: When I used to have Lexus GS300, the auto light worked perfectly and had about 45sec delay so when you go thru overpass, it doesn't turn on.

I went to the dealer after reading the manual saying that the sensitivity can be adujusted, but they had no clue and just said that my lights are working normally. they say everything is normal:eek:

As for the auto lights, i believe the option came out in '03 models equipped w/ premium package along w/ auto windshield wipers:thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
dan330 said:
What are you guys talking about?
There is a sensor to automaticly tun on and off the headlights?

I have a 2001 330ci with sport and premium packages. Does all cars have this or only some models. And was it and added option?

If I do have it, how can I test it? To see if I do have it.
The feature started for the '02 MY (in Canada) on any car that had the rain sensor fitted. To see if you have it, look at your headlamp switch...non-auto cars only have off, parking light, and headlamp on, wheras auto adds the auto mode by turning the dial left from the off position. I.e. there are 4 rather than 3 settings. As an '01 car i can virtually guarantee yours doesn't have it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
OH, thanks guys for clearing that up.

Ques 2...
My daylight driving lights are on when I turn the car on. How do program them to be off? I know that the dealer can do it, but can I do it myself?

Thanks,
dan330

1 - 12 of 12 Posts