BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the nearest dyno is like 4 hours away, and its $150 a pop to get a A/F reading.

I'm trying to think of a way to get a A/F reading under part and WOT.

Anyone know of anything that can clip onto the tailpipe, or do I need to go the wideband O2 sensor + datalogger route, or something else?

What's everyone using for logging A/F ratios these days?

·
Registered
972 Posts
So the nearest dyno is like 4 hours away, and its $150 a pop to get a A/F reading.

I'm trying to think of a way to get a A/F reading under part and WOT.

Anyone know of anything that can clip onto the tailpipe, or do I need to go the wideband O2 sensor + datalogger route, or something else?

What's everyone using for logging A/F ratios these days?
Innovate LC-2 and BMWLogger.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm looking for something that is going to be quick and dirty, and preferably not permanent.

The LC-1 requires wiring into a power source and threading the O2 sensor into a bung on the exhaust (my rear two O2 bungs are free, since I have headers and those lower O2's turned off via tune).

I wish I could source a LM-1 temporarily, since this is probably a one-time validation of my tune.

Also, anyone have feedback on Motec vs Innovate for widebands, and would either work with BMWLogger?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I'm reading that the ms45.1 dme uses wideband O2 sensors, so does that mean I only need to hook up bmwlogger and I'll be all set and I don't need to buy a lc-2?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The last time I used BMWLogger I could only get O2 Voltage on mine, not AFR. If you want AFR, you need to spend some $. :(

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what are you guys using for datalogging if not bmwlogger?

I think voltage on the O2's would be fine, since they are supposedly wideband it just means I should still be getting good data at WOT, yes? And from that I should be able to tell if I am too rich or lean at least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Testo and PLX wideband connected via serial usb port to a laptop and a serial obd cabel connected to the same laptop.
I think that is the most comfortable solution and you can import the log file to megalogviewer.
You can time sync log AFR, rpm, ignition etc.
just google " Diagnostic program with realtime graph view"

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tflow, that's awesome. I'll read up on that thread and see if it supports the MS45.1 DME. This could be perfect.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, that's an option too.

So far the list is:
BMWLogger
Testo
OBDWiz

I think the benefit of OBDWiz is that it works with any OBDII vehicle. Testo and BMWLogger would be the only options available to older OBDI cars.

I keep reading that the MS45.1 has wideband O2 sensors, so it would seem that means I don't need a LC-1, and the O2 sensor voltage shown by OBDWiz should be a good way to check AFR at WOT

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a new one: http://www.renovelo.com/bytelogger/

Anyone use this? Looks pretty good. Similar to BMWLogger in purpose but looks a lot prettier :) And they have a trial version that I'm going to try.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried out the trial version and it works great, even using my blue USB OBDII cable that everyone else in the BMW world is using. Reads and clears codes too.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Renovelo bytelogger works great. Clean interface, incredibly simple.

Also, the MS45.1 has wideband pre-cat O2 sensors installed from the factory, but the DME only reports their voltage, and not the AFR. So there's need for conversion, and its not exactly the same as the sensor voltage provided by other wideband controllers such as Innovate. I have been unsucessful in finding anyone so far that has mapped the O2 voltages reported by the MS45.1 to an actual AFR.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts